The dwelling portion of the lighthouse on the main floor was partitioned into three rooms: a storage room, kitchen, and a living room. A bedroom was believed to have been located above these rooms.
To protect the lighthouse, a breakwater was constructed by Ronald Campbell in 1884 under a contract for $3,950. Exposed to the wave action of Northumberland Strait and battered by ice floes each spring, the breakwater was frequently in need of repairs. Between 1887 and 1897, repairs to the breakwater were carried out at least seven times, and some of these fixes were described as extensive or large.
In consequence of shrinking and splitting, the siding on the lower portion of the lighthouse was removed in 1894, and a covering of tarred felt was applied followed by cedar shingles. Storm sashes were installed on all the tower windows, and the whole structure was given two coats of paint. H. P. Woods carried out this work, while the interior of the lantern was scraped and painted under the superintendence of Keeper James Walsh.
During the spring thaw in 1897, a strong southwest wind drove large sections of ice over the breakwater, carrying away the station’s boathouse and smashing the keeper’s rowboat. A new boat was hastily supplied at a cost of $30.
The lighthouse’s circular caisson foundation was replaced in 1907 by an octagonal cement foundation constructed under the supervision of the Department of Marine and Fisheries agency at Charlottetown at a total cost of $2,541.74. The following year, the illuminating apparatus at Indian Head Lighthouse was upgraded to a 270°, fourth-order Fresnel lens.
Following automation of the station, the partitioning walls in the dwelling were removed, and the tongue and groove wall boarding was torn out so leaks in the roof could be readily detected. Today, the signature of Indian Head Lighthouse is a five-second white light followed by five seconds of darkness.
Indian Head Lighthouse was recognized as a heritage place under the Prince Edward Island Heritage Places Protection Act on October 3, 2012. On September 25, 2013, the lighthouse was awarded a Provincial Designated Heritage Place plaque and certificate.
The City of Summerside has submitted a petition for ownership of the lighthouse under the Parks Canada Heritage Lighthouse Program.
Keepers: Charles Peters (1881), James Walsh (1881 – 1898), Joel S. Allen (1898 – 1913), F. W. Peters (1913 – 1924), M. Gallant (1924), Arthur Ellsworth Grady (1925 – 1928), Charles Gallant (1928 – 1929), Amos A. Gallant (1929 – 1949), Stanley Gallant (1949), Amos L. Perry (1949 – at least 1961).