Home Maps Resources Calendar About
Resources Calendar About
Belle River, PE  Lighthouse destroyed.   

Select a photograph to view a photo gallery

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

See our full List of Lighthouses in Prince Edward Island Canada

Belle River Lighthouse

Belle River is a small community located just west of Wood Islands in Queens County.

In 1913, workers under the direction of G.L. Gaudin built a square, skeletal tower with sloping sides at Belle River to display a sixth-order lens at a cost of around $370. The lower portion of the wooden tower was left open, while the upper portion was enclosed. This fixed red light had a focal plane of twenty-two feet and was located on the outer end of the west breakwater at the mouth of Belle River.

M.J. Bell served as the first keeper of the light from 1913 through at least 1923.

In 1936, a mast replaced the skeletal tower as a means to display a light. The light was discontinued in the late 1990s.

Keepers: M.J. Bell (1913 at least 1923).

References

  1. Annual Report of the Department of Marine, various years.

Copyright © 2001- Lighthousefriends.com
Pictures on this page copyright Canadian Coast Guard, used by permission.
email Kraig