Home Maps Resources Calendar About
Resources Calendar About
Little Sands, PE  Lighthouse destroyed.   

Select a photograph to view a photo gallery

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

See our full List of Lighthouses in Prince Edward Island Canada

Little Sands Lighthouse

Little Sands is a community located on the southeast shore of Prince Edward Island, between Wood Islands and Cape Bear.

In 1877, a fixed red catoptric light was put in operation at Little Sands. This light was placed in the gable window of a house where it was twenty feet above the ground and fifty feet above the high-water mark. Duncan Munn, the owner of the house and farm where the light was place was placed in charge of the light at an annual salary of $30. William Mitchell, the agent for the Department of Marine for Prince Edward Island, noted in 1878 that the light had become most important as it was the only red light on the north side of Northumberland Strait so mariners immediately knew their position when they spotted it. The light was discontinued at the end of 1882.

In 1920, a thirteen-foot-tall, square, wooden tower was erected on the shore at the inner end of the breakwater at Little Sands to display a seventh-order, fixed red light, which had a focal plane of fifty-four feet above high water. J.D. McLean was placed in charge of this wharf light at an annual salary of $80.

In 1960, a skeletal tower replaced the wooden tower. Little Sands Light was active through at least 1985, but there is no light at this location today.

Keepers: Duncan Munn (1877 1882), J.D. McLean (1920 at least 1923).

References

  1. Annual Report of the Department of Marine, various years.

Copyright © 2001- Lighthousefriends.com
Pictures on this page copyright Canadian Coast Guard, used by permission.
email Kraig