Home Maps Resources Calendar About
Resources Calendar About
Black Rock Beacon, NY  Lighthouse destroyed.   

Select a photograph to view a photo gallery

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

See our full List of Lighthouses in New York

Black Rock Beacon Lighthouse

1854 - Two temporary range-lights were erected late in last autumn, to aid the navigation of the entrance to the river Niagara. The permanent structure, a tower of rubble-stone surmounted by a parapet of brick masonry, has been completed, and is now ready to receive the illuminating apparatus, a catadioptric lens of the 6th order. The range-light will necessarily be continued until the light-house about to be erected upon Horse Shoe reef shall have been completed.

1855 - Keeper Arthur McMahon $120 - Black Rock Beacon

1855 - Black Rock beacon, Niagara river, N. Y.—The permanent structure of stone was completed in October, and the new apparatus, a lens of the fifth order, introduced.

1856 -New lanterns and lens apparatus have been placed at Cumberland Head and Black Rock light-houses. New lanterns and lens apparatus are nearly ready for being placed at Little Gull Island, Eaton's Neck, Great Captain's Island, Old Field Point, and Split Rock light-houses.

1868 - 23. Black Bock beacon.—In very good order, requiring nothing.

1869 -24. Black Rock Beacon.—No repairs were found necessary during last season, and none are now necessary. This light was intended to guide vessels to Black Rock Harbor while the Horseshoe Reef light was in course of erection. That being completed, this is no longer necessary, and should, accordingly, be discontinued.

1870 -409. Black Rock beacon, New York, head of Niagara River, Lake Erie.— This beacon-light having been established to serve a temporary purpose, until the completion and exhibition of the light on Horseshoe Reef, and being of no use, will be extinguished at the close of navigation this season, and will not be relighted next spring.

Keepers: Arthur McMahon (1853 – 1856), Folhas Folsman (1856 – 1861), J. Brecktel (1861 – 1869), Mary S. Lee (1869 – 1870).

Copyright © 2001- Lighthousefriends.com
Pictures on this page copyright National Archives, used by permission.
email Kraig