Another new lighthouse was erected last season, at Stonehouse Point, in the River St. Lawrence, a few miles above the one in Hamilton’s Island. It is a square wooden tower, painted white, with a dwelling-house attached. The light is a fixed white light on the catoptric principle, consisting of three mammoth flat-wick lamps, with 18-inch reflectors, and can be seen at a distance of about 12 miles where not intercepted by the land. Mr. Kenneth Maclauchlan was appointed keeper on 3rd September last, at a salary of $150 per annum, and the light was first exhibited on the 25th day of July last. The total cost of its construction up to 31st December last, was $1,739.40.The iron lantern room atop the lighthouse had a diameter of six feet, and the focal plan of the light was forty-two feet above the river. The 1871 census shows that Keeper McLachlan and his wife Margaret had four children. A report on the lighthouse in 1878 indicated that Keeper McLachlan then had eight children and that the station was kept in very good order. Keeper McLachlan died in 1878. Margaret took over responsibility for the lighthouse and served until 1900.
Kate Casgrain, who owned land adjoining the lighthouse property, was appointed keeper of the light in 1900. She served until 1906, at which time her son Rene, who was already in charge of seven automatic gaslights between Cornwall and Hamilton Island, was made keeper. Rene Casgrain served until the light was discontinued in 1914 and replaced by a red cylindrical gas buoy.
Keepers: Kenneth McLachlan (1873 – 1878), Margaret McLachlan (1878 – 1900), James H. Aitken (1900 – 1903), Kate Casgrain (1903 – 1906), Rene Casgrain (1906 – 1914).