In 1907, a light was placed on Rags Island to mark the eastern channel for entering Fogo Harbour, and it commenced operation the following spring. The light consisted of a fixed white lens lantern that was hoisted to an open framework.
In 1911, a formal lighthouse was placed on Rags island to replace the hoist-up lantern. A Notice to Mariners in 1912 advertised the new light:
The fixed white lens-lantern light formerly exhibited from an open framework tower on Rags Island, northern shore of Fogo Island, east coast of Newfoundland, has been replaced by a 6th order fixed white light exhibited from a white circular iron tower.An addition to the keeper’s dwelling was made in 1913. M. Waterman started looking after the light in 1909. In 1921, an English acetylene light replaced the kerosene oil light used on Rags Island. It seems the circular iron tower was removed from the island with the change of light, as the 1922 List of Lights shows that a white square wooden tower with sloping sides and topped by a red lantern was on the island. The characteristic of the new light was a white flash every seven-and-half seconds.
The tower is connected with a white dwelling by a short covered passage.
The light was first listed as unwatched in the 1935 List of Lights, and it is thought that Keeper Waterman served until about this time. The square, wooden tower was on the island through at least 1960. In 2021, a square, skeletal was displaying a flashing white light with a period of four seconds from Rags Island.
Keepers: Mark Waterman (1909 – 1934).