Leading Tickles is a settlement on Cull Island off the northeast coast of Newfoundland, and, as expected, there is a narrow channel that runs between Cull Island and the main island of Newfoundland. This channel extends east of Leading Tickles and passes along the southern shore of neighboring Alcock Island.
In 1908, a lighthouse was built opposite Alcock Island to mark the eastern entrance to Leading Tickles. A Notice to Mariners published that year advertised the establishment of the new light:
A lighthouse has been established on the southern side of the eastern entrance to Leading Tickles, Notre Dame Bay, east coast of Newfoundland.
The lighthouse tower is a circular iron building, painted [in] red and white horizontal bands, two of each. The tower is 18 feet high from base to top of lantern.
The light is an occulting white light, visible for 7 seconds and eclipsed for 3 seconds alternately. The light is elevated 83 feet above sea level, and should be visible 10 miles in all directions seaward. The illuminating apparatus is dioptric of the sixth order.
A dwelling house and store, both painted white, stand a short distance west of the tower.
The light will be maintained annually during the period of open navigation.
Leading Tickles Lighthouse was listed as unwatched starting with the 1932 List of Lights. At that time, the light’s characteristic was changed from what it was originally to a white flash every three seconds. Various men from the community tended the light through the years.
The iron lighthouse was in use through at least 1950. In 2021, a square, skeletal tower, with a red rectangular daymark having a white vertical stripe, was displaying a flashing white light with a period of three seconds at Leading Tickles.
Keepers: M. Lyver (1908), Hy. Andrews (1909 – 1911), O.M. Butler (1912 – ), George Loveman (at least 1921).