In 1894, the name of the lighthouse was officially changed from Clifton to Stonehaven, as the Clifton post office was some distance from the tower and a new post office called Stonehaven had been established closer to the lighthouse.
A fourth-order lens was mounted in the tower in 1916, and in 1923 a mast light was erected at the end of the wharf. The main light seems to be discontinued when the mast light on the wharf was established, and the cast-iron lantern was removed from Stonehaven Lighthouse in 1929. A modern skeletal tower, located on the hill overlooking the wharf, was serving the harbour in 2020.
Keepers: Charles F. Scott (1885 – 1904), Mrs. Elizabeth Scott (1904 – 1913), W. Daley (1913 – 1921), C. Daley (1921), E.G. Scott (1922 – 1923).