Thomas Lewis was hired as the first keeper of the range lights at an annual salary of $100. He served until 1889, and then Stanislaus Preston assume responsibility for the lights and looked after them for over thirty years.
The front range light burned on June 6, 1894, but was soon repaired. That same year, a new house was built. In 1898, the front light was placed atop a new square, pyramidal tower that stood twenty-nine feet tall, and a skeleton steel tower with an enclosed upper portion was constructed for the rear light. The rear tower was fifty-nine feet tall, and its lantern room and ironwork were painted red, while the enclosed upper portion was painted white. In 1914, both lights were improved by substituting a catoptric illuminating apparatus for a lens. This new reflector threw a beam of light of 3,000 candle-power along the line of range.
The 1914 rear tower served through at least 1966. Modern skeleton towers served as Preston Beach Range until the range was discontinued in 2015. .
Keepers: Thomas Lewis (1869 – 1889), Stanislaus Preston (1889 – at least 1923).