Home Maps Resources Calendar About
Resources Calendar About
Petit Rocher (Elmr Tree), NB  Lighthouse destroyed.   

Select a photograph to view a photo gallery

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

See our full List of Lighthouses in New Brunswick Canada

Petit Rocher (Elmr Tree) Lighthouse

Joseph Morrison was awarded a contract in 1878 to erect a square, wooden lighthouse on Elm Tree Point in Petit Rocher. The tower stood 9.4 metres tall, and Keeper Hilarion Roy first lit its fixed white light on May 24, 1879. The total cost for the lighthouse was $952.60, and Keeper Roy was paid annual salary of $150.

A wharf was built at Petit Rocher in 1908, and in 1910, Petit Rocher Lighthouse was moved from the northern side of the mouth of Elm Tree River roughly two-and-a-half kilometres south to the outer end of the wharf at Rochette (Church) Point. In 1912, a storm carried away the lighthouse, and a pole light was established near the outer end of the wharf in its place. Modern lights mark the breakwater at Petit Rocher today.

Keepers: Hilarion Roy (1879 1895), Joseph B. Boudreau (1896 1911), J. D. Laplante (1911 at least 1923).

References

  1. Annual Report of the Department of Marine and Fisheries, various years.

Copyright © 2001- Lighthousefriends.com
Pictures on this page copyright Library and Archives Canada, Canadian Coast Guard, used by permission.
email Kraig