On July 1, 1884, a fixed red light, displayed from a square, wooden tower with a height of seven metres, commenced operation on the north side of the Miramichi River, just below Newcastle. William Merry was appointed the first keeper of the light at an annual salary of $150. In 1910, it was noted that the light had been improved through the substitution of a sixth-order, 270° dioptric lens in place of the pressed lens previously used. The tower reportedly burned down in the 1940s. The wooden tower last appeared on a List of Lights
in 1942, and the following year, a set of range lights were listed in that area.
Keepers: William Merry (1884 – 1897), R. Blackstock Matheson (1897 – at least 1923).
- Annual Report of the Department of Marine and Fisheries, various years.