Drifting sand and an eroding shore were constant problems at the station. A storm in November 1897 washed away the beach near the tower necessitating the relocation of the oil house and the construction of a sea wall. A more extensive breakwater was built on the sea side of the lighthouse in 1906.
In 1915, a fourth-order lens was mounted in the lantern room to produce a distinctive characteristic of ten seconds of light followed by a five-second eclipse. A pole light replaced the lighthouse in 1948 followed by a red skeletal tower, surmounted by a white wooden lantern, which served until 1967. .
Keepers: Dositee J.B. Robichaux (1875 – 1888), John David Brune (1888 – 1913), C. R. Brune (1913 – at least 1930).