Home Maps Resources Calendar About
Resources Calendar About
Mark Point, NB  Lighthouse destroyed.   

Select a photograph to view a photo gallery

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

See our full List of Lighthouses in New Brunswick Canada

Mark Point Lighthouse

Beacon lights, constructed on the St. Croix River at Mark Point and Spruce Point in 1875, commenced operation on April 1, 1876. The two open-framework towers were twins, measuring 8.5 metres from base to vane and displaying a fixed white light. The towers were painted brown, while the lanterns were painted white. Absalom Chrisite was appointed the first keeper of Mark Point Lighthouse at an annual salary of $80.

In 1892, new stone piers and beams were placed under the tower at a cost of $25.

Red and white cylindrical towers replaced the wooden towers at Mark Point and Spruce Point in 1973 and served until the lights were discontinued in 2001.

Keepers: Absalom Christie (1875 1876), Patrick Toomeys (Twomey) (1876 1890), William. N. Quinton (1890 1903), William Maloney (1903 at least 1923).

References

  1. Annual Report of the Department of Marine, various years.

Copyright © 2001- Lighthousefriends.com
Pictures on this page copyright Canadian Coast Guard, Michel Forand, Parks Canada, used by permission.
email Kraig