In 1888, bids were invited for constructing a lighthouse on Fort Folly Point, located at the southern tip of the peninsula that separates the Petitcodiac and Memramcook rivers. E.C. Bowser of Dorchester built the lighthouse in 1889 for $1,875, and its first keeper, Andre B. Richard, activated the light on March 1, 1890. The lighthouse consisted of a square, pyramidal tower, 10.7 metres tall, with an attached keeper’s dwelling. The lighthouse was originally white with a red lantern, but a distinctive red horizontal band was later applied to the middle of the tower.
The original Fort Folly Lighthouse appeared in the List of Lights through 1964, after which a red skeleton tower was listed.
Keepers: Andre B. Richard (1889 – 1897), Philip T. Belliveau (1897 – 1903), Amos Philip Belliveau (1903 – at least 1934)
- Annual Report of the Department of Marine, various years.