Three pole lights were established along Lennox Passage in 1884 to support the increasing number of steamers carrying passengers and mail between Port Mulgrave and Sydney through St. Peters Canal. One light was placed on Glasgow Point near the west end of the passage, one was placed on Dog Island near the center of the passage, and one was placed on Grandique Point near the east end of the passage. Each light was fixed red and shown from a small dioptric lantern hoisted on a mast to a height of twenty-five feet. The masts had a small shed at their base, and the lights could be seen about five miles.
In 1896, a formal lighthouse replaced the pole light at Glasgow Point as noted in the Annual Report of the Department of Marine for 1896:
A small tower, with keeper’s dwelling attached, has been erected at Glasgow Point to take the place of the inferior pole light hitherto in operation at that station. An acre of land has been acquired and enclosed with a wire paling fence.In 1899, the lighthouse received a new boat, a water closet, and a storm door, and its chimney was repaired.
The new tower is erected on the site of the old light mast, on the north and west extremity of the Point, on ground about 39 feet above high-water mark. It is a square wooden building, painted white, surmounted by a hexagonal iron lantern painted red, and attached to its south side is a small white wooden dwelling. The height of the tower, from its base to the vane on the lantern, is 32 feet.
The light is fixed red, elevated 65 feet above high-water mark and should be visible 8 miles from all points of approach by water. The illuminating apparatus is dioptric, of the 7th order. Materials were sent by the “Aberdeen” and, the work done by Mr. John Chisholm, foreman of works, with local help at a cost of $1,374.38, including $246.79 for iron lantern and $91.74 for illuminating apparatus.
Abraham Clory was hired as keeper of the light at Glasgow Point in 1894, when it was a pole light, and he served until Glasgow Point Lighthouse was discontinued at the end of 1933.
Keepers: Charles Forrest (1884 – 1894), Abraham Clory (1894 – 1933).