Home Maps Resources Calendar About
Resources Calendar About
Shulie, NS  Lighthouse destroyed.   

Select a photograph to view a photo gallery

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

See our full List of Lighthouses in Nova Scotia Canada

Shulie Lighthouse

The upper portion of the Bay of Fundy between New Brunswick and Nova Scotia is known as Chignecto Bay. Shulie is located roughly midway up the Nova Scotia side of Chignecto Bay, between Apple River and Joggins. Once a thriving lumber town with a population of around 200, Shulie now has only a couple of residents.

In 1905, the Department of Marine, as noted in their annual report for that year, had a lighthouse built at Shulie:

A lighthouse tower was erected on the headland on the eastern side of entrance to Shulie harbour, Chignecto channel, and put in operation.

The tower stands on land 37 feet above high-water mark and 50 feet back from the water’s edge. It is an enclosed wooden building, square in plan, with sloping sides, surmounted by a square wooden lantern, the whole painted white. The tower is 32 feet high from its base to the top of the ventilator on the lantern.

The light is a fixed red dioptric light, of the seventh order, elevated 64 feet above high-water mark, and visible 8 miles from all points of approach by water.

This work was done by contract by Rhodes, Curry & Co., of Amherst, N.S., the contract price being $1,275.

Clifford Patterson was hired as the first keeper of the Shulie Lighthouse at an annual salary of $200.

A fog signal building, which was painted white and had a brown roof, was built east of the lighthouse at Shulie around 1923 as an additional aid to mariners. The light and fog signal were likely both discontinued in 1930, as they do not appear on Light Lists after that year.

Keepers: Clifford Patterson (1905 – 1919), G.J. Lovelock (1919 – 1920), David L. Phillips (1920 – at least 1923).


  1. Annual Report of the Department of Marine and Fisheries, various years.

Copyright © 2001- Lighthousefriends.com
Pictures on this page copyright , used by permission.
email Kraig