Robert A. Spencer, Williamís son, was appointed keeper on April 5, 1870 at an annual salary of $100. Robert Spencer served as keeper for nearly fifty years. In 1919, his daughter Annie replaced him as the official keeper.
In 1874, three lamps were being used atop the dwelling: two A lamps, set in twelve-inch reflectors, and a third lamp without a reflector. These lamps consumed about 100 gallons each year, with the oil being stored in two tanks. In 1877, the lantern room on the Spencerís dwelling was described as having eight sides and a diameter of four-and-a-half feet. Three of the sides of the lantern room were dark, while glass, measuring twenty-two by twenty-three inches, was used in the other five sides. The Spencerís house was a rectangular, wooden dwelling, situated at the southeast extremity of the point, and the light was displayed at a height of twenty feet during the navigation season.
In 1915, Spencer Point Light was improved through the substitution of a fifth-order lens for the catoptric apparatus formerly used.
Spencer Point Light remained in operation through at least the 1950s. The Spencerís home reportedly collapsed over an eroding bluff in the 1960s.
Keepers: William Spencer (1863 Ė 1869), Robert A. Spencer (1870 Ė 1919), Annie J. Spencer (1919 Ė at least 1923).