The Department of Marine mentioned the establishment of the light in its annual report in 1905:
- A lighthouse was erected on the western side of the entrance to Ketch harbour, county of Halifax.
The lighthouse tower stands on ground 20 feet above high-water mark and 40 feet back from the water’s edge. It is a wooden building, square in plan, with sloping sides, surmounted by a square, wooden lantern, the whole painted white. It is 32 feet high from its base to the ventilator on the lantern.
The light is a fixed red dioptric light, elevated 46 feet above high-water mark, and visible 7 miles from all points of approach.
This work was performed by day labour, and cost $525.14; the superintendent of the work being Mr. Whebby.
Charles Martin was hired as the first keeper of the Ketch Harbour Lighthouse at an annual salary of $80. The lighthouse was deactivated in 1962. In 2020, a lighted buoy was anchored just offshore to mark the harbour entrance.
Keepers: Charles Martin (1905 – 1931), Thomas Martin (1931), Wilfred Fleming (1931 – 1952).