In 1913, A.L. Mury of West Arichat built a square, pyramidal, wooden tower on Tanner Island at the cost of $728. The lighthouse was equipped with a fifth-order lens, and R.G. Wight was hired as the first keeper of the light. Keeper Wight looked after the light until 1927, and then Harry Knickle took over and served until the light was made unwatched in 1963.
As there was no dwelling on the tiny island, the keeper had to row out each evening to light the light and then return the following morning to extinguish it.
When a solar panel was added to supply power to the light in 1967, the name of the light was changed from Tanner Island Light to Gunning Point Island Light.
In 1986, the present 7.7-metre-tall fibreglass tower replaced the original lighthouse.
Keepers: R.G. Wight (1913 – 1927), Harry Knickle (1927 – 1963).