Home Maps Resources Calendar About
Resources Calendar About
Somers Cove, MD  Lighthouse destroyed.   

Select a photograph to view a photo gallery

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

See our full List of Lighthouses in Maryland

Somers Cove Lighthouse

1867 – For a beacon-light at Somers’ Cove, in the State of Mayland. March 2, 1867, $10,000.

1867 – The beacon-light at Somers's cove, in the Aunaraessex river, Maryland, provided for by act of Congress, is completed. It is a screw-pile structure of the least expensive class.

1868 – Somers's cove.—In good condition.

1869 – Somers's Cove.—In good condition.

1880 – Somers Cove, Tangier Sound, Chesapeake Bay, Maryland.—The buildings of the station were repainted.

1891 – Somers Cove, Little Annemessex River, Chesapeake Bay, Maryland. In August four of the diagonal girders were repaired, involving the removal and replacing of the main gallery deck, and various repairs were made.

1899 – Somers Cove, north side of Little Annemessex River, Maryland.— New model fifth-order lamps were supplied.

1901 – Somers Cove, north side of Little Annemessex River, Maryland.—Soundings were made around the light-house. Various repairs were made.

1928 – Somers Cove Lighthouse appears to have been automated by 1928, as it was listed as an acetylene light in 1928. The wooden superstructure was likely removed at the same time, as a 1931 Light List shows the light as being exhibited from a skeletal tower.

Keepers:

  • Head: David Wallace (1867), A.R. Harvey (1867 – 1869), James Lawson (1869 – 1878), Thomas Riggin (1878 – 1882), William F. Conner (1882 – 1883), Joshua Gillis (1883), Alexander W. Nelson (1883 – 1884), Henry S. Moore (1884 – 1890), John L. Ashmead (1890 – 1892), William M. Insley (1893 – 1903), Obed T. Dize (1903 – 1904), Edgar T. Somers (1904 – 1926).
  • Assistant: Thomas S. Dougherty (1871 – 1878), John Whittington (1878 – 1881), Seth Blades (1881 – 1882), William F. Conner (1882), Loemuel T. Nelson (1907 – 1908), Loemuel T. Nelson (1909 – 1911), J. E. McDorman (1911 – 1912), Andrew A. Nelson (at least 1913 – at least 1919).

Copyright © 2001- Lighthousefriends.com
Pictures on this page copyright Coast Guard, Marty Schlegel, used by permission.
email Kraig