Home Maps Resources Calendar About
Resources Calendar About
Brant Island, NC  Lighthouse destroyed.   

Select a photograph to view a photo gallery

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

See our full List of Lighthouses in North Carolina

Brant Island Lighthouse

1855 – Brant Island shoal – This vessel is now undergoing repairs at her station.

1856 – The following light-vessels have been thoroughly repaired and refitted, viz: Brant Island shoal, Roanoke river, Wolf Trap, Smith’s Point, Windmill Point, Lower Cedar Point, Hooper’s Straits, Craney island, and Jone’s island.

1857 – All the light-vessels in this district, located in the waters of North Carolina, are very old, (with one exception, and that one a badly built contract vessel,) all of them requiring frequent and expensive repairs, and some of them are in such a condition from age as to render it almost certain that they must be rebuilt at no distant day, or their places occupied by iron screw-pile foundation lights, similar to those already erected at two points in those waters. The comparative expense in first cost has been shown to be greatly in favor of the permanent light, and that of annual support and maintenance of the permanent very small in comparison with that for the light-vessels. No engineering difficulties are apprehended in the substitution of permanent lights at the sites of those light-vessels, should Congress authorize their erection. The light-vessels which could be changed gradually to permanent lights are Crany island, Neuse river, Harbor island bar, Roanoke river, Brant island shoal, Croatan Sound, Long shoal, and Royal shoal.

1862 – The light-vessel which formerly marked Brant Island shoal, and which was recaptured on the taking, by the United States forces, of Forts Hatteras and Clark, at Hatteras inlet, was subsequently sunk by accident at that inlet. She has, however, been raised, and is now undergoing repairs to fit her for service as a light-vessel.

1863 – The light-vessel stations at Long shoal and Brant Island shoal have been marked by suitable vessels and apparatus, and are now in effective operation. The vessel marking the latter station being old and defective, measures are in progress for the erection at that site of a screw-pile structure, and it is confidently expected that in the course of the coming winter the new light will be completed.

1864 – At the date of the last annual report, a temporary light-vessel marked Brant Island shoal. Since then a screw-pile light-house has been erected on the point of the shoal, and lighted, and the vessel removed to Newbern, where in March last she was sunk by order of the military authorities, as an obstruction to rebel naval movements in Neuse or Trent river.

1868 – Brant island.—Iron-work of foundation painted two coats, outside of dwelling one coat, and lantern painted inside and out two coats; locks and hinges to doors repaired and new glass set where required; new cooking stove and fixtures supplied.

1869 – Brant Island.—Screw-pile light-house; iron work cleaned of rust, and painted; house painted outside, and lantern painted outside and in. Funck lamps are to be supplied.

1876 – On southern part of Pamlico Sound, NC. Discontinued May 23, 1876. Destroyed by fire.

1876 – Brant Island Shoal, southern part of Pamlico Sound, North Carolina.—This station was destroyed by fire, May 24, 1876, but the ironwork remaining intact, with a few minor exceptions, the station can be restored at an expense not to exceed $10,000, for which an appropriation is needed.

1877 – Brant Island Shoal, southern part of Pamlico Sound, North Carolina.—This light-house was destroyed by tire on May 24,1876. The iron foundation was not, however, injured. As the light is quite an important one, it is deemed advisable to rebuild it, and defray the expenses from the general appropriation applicable to such work. The frame has been prepared and will be shipped to the station in a short time.

1878 – On southern part of Pamlico Sound, Brant Island Shoal, First lighted December 1, 1877.

1878 – Brant Island Shoal, southern part of Pamlico Sound, North Carolina.—The rebuilding of this light-house upon the iron foundation, which was not materially damaged by the fire which destroyed the light-house, was commenced on the 27th of October, and completed the following month. The light was exhibited on the 1st of December. The characteristics of the light remain as formerly.

1883 – Brant Island Shoal, southern part of Pamplico Sound, North Carolina.—A new boat-hoister was put up, the fog-bell-striking machine was repaired, and various minor repairs were made. The house is now in good order.

1885 – Brant Island Shoal, Pamplico Sound, North Carolina.—A boathoister has been set up and a new weight-cord supplied for the fog-bell machine.

1895 – Brant Island Shoal, Pamlico Sound, North Carolina.—A new water tank of 200 gallons' capacity was supplied in January, 1895.

1899 – Brant Island Shoal, Pamlico Sound, North Carolina.—New model fifth-order lamps were installed. Minor repairs were made.

1919 – John T. Twiford, keeper, assistance rendered disabled motor boat in sinking condition with two persons on board. Happened on July 5, 1919. See LSB Sept 1919.

1920 – The act of March 28, 1918, appropriated $150,000 for rebuilding, repairing, and reestablishing aids damaged by storm and ice, from which $100,000 was allotted to the fifth district. The act of November 16,1918, appropriated $300,000 additional for the same purpose, from which $284,000 was allotted the fifth district. The restoration of light stations in the fifth district damaged by ice floes during the winter of 1917-18 was continued during the past fiscal year by depositing riprap at nine light stations, building up existing protective works near or around these stations, or constructing new barriers or ice breakers, and by constructing new foundations and inserting bracing under several screw pile lighthouses, as follows: At Brant Island and Neuse River Light Stations, Pamlico Sound, N. C, 800 tons of riprap stone were placed under the former and 400 tons under the latter to restore the stability of the structures formerly attained by underwater bracing, all of which was carried away by ice. A new foundation of piles and mushroom castings was placed under Brant Island Light Station and the station leveled by the district force previous to the deposit of riprap stone.

1920 – J.T. Twiford, keeper, assistance rendered motor tug Emily which had become disabled. Happened on May 4, 1920.

1925 – David E. Quidley, keeper of Brant Island Shoal Lighthouse, M. C., on March 24, while en route to Southwest Point Royal Shoal, picked up the disabled motor boat Mable with two men on board and towed them to Portsmouth. 1926 - D. E. Quidley, keeper of Brant Island Shoal Lighthouse, N. C., on February 4 rendered assistance to a disabled motor boat which was sighted in distress about 3 miles west of Royal Shoal, N. C.

Keepers:

  • Head: James Fountain (1864), John W. Wilkins (1864 – 1870), Edward B. Hopkins (1870 – 1872), George S. Smith (1872 – 1873), Elijah L. Gaskill (1873), Peter Johnston (1873 – 1876), Charles B. Keeler (1877), William J. Simmons (1887 – 1895), Lazarus G. Hinnant (1895 – 1897), Robert M. Jennett (1897 – 1900), Alonzo J. English (1900 – 1911), William Newton (1911 – 1917), John T. Twiford (1917 – at least 1920), David E. Quidley (at least 1921 – at least 1926).
  • First Assistant: John Conklin (1864), John W. Hill (1864), Levi Rock (1864), John Crumly (1864 – 1866), Charles F. Price (1866 – 1867), John F. Wilkins (1867 – 1870), Robert L. Henry (1870 – 1872), James D. Wilkins (1872 – 1873), J. C. Johnston (1873 – 1876), Edward L. Keeler (1877 – 1886), Lazarus G. Hinnant (1886 – 1887), Royal L. Ireland (1887 – 1891), Chalcedony Lewis (1891 – 1893), Levin B. Austin (1894), Lela P. Simmons (1895), Alonzo J. English (1895 – 1900), Wesley L. Gaskill (1900), J. E. English (1900), Willie C. Simpson (1900 – 1902), William Newton (1902), Thomas G. Willis (1902 – 1903), William Newton (1903 – 1911), Thomas J. Crapper (1911 – 1912), Charles O. Peel (1912 – 1914), Cale B. Stowe (1914), Walter L. Barnett (at least 1915), James E. English (1916), John D. Brady (1916 – 1917), William M. Midgett (1917), David E. Quidley (at least 1919), John M. Stowe (1920 – 1922), Charles H. Fulcher (1922), Arthur Midgett (1922), Charles H. Fulcher (1922 – at least 1926), Julian H. Austin (1929).
  • Second Assistant: Mial W. Davis (1864), Thomas Wilkins (1864 – 1870), John E. Midgett (1922 – at least 1926).

Copyright © 2001- Lighthousefriends.com
Pictures on this page copyright Coast Guard, used by permission.
email Kraig