1895 -Maurice River range lights, Delaware Bay, New Jersey.The following recommendation, which was made in the Board's last annual report, is renewed:
It is claimed that some 500 sailing vessels are engaged in the oyster trade on Maurice River during the season, and that they give employment on an average to 1,500 men; in addition, a number of coasting vessels visit this river, and the establishment of manufactures at Millville, N. J., is increasing the marine traffic. The value of this commerce is sufficient to warrant the establishment of range lights to mark the entrance to Maurice River. It is estimated that the surveys and examinations, the sites, the erection of the range lights, and the keeper's quarters will ?ost not to exceed $4,500. Recommendation is made that an appropriation of this amount be made therefor.
1896 Maurice River, Delaware Bay, New Jersey.A boat slip was excavated extending from the station to the bay.
By the act approved June 11, 1896, an appropriation of $4,500 was made for establishing range lights and a keeper's dwelling near the entrance of Maurice River, Delaware Bay, New Jersey. The proper measures for beginning this work will be taken at an early day.
1897 Maurice River range lights, Delaware Bay, New Jersey. A preliminary survey of the channel was made in October, 1896. A light-house site was surveyed in April, 1897, and negotiations for its purchase were begun. Progress with this work is much delayed by the difficulties met in acquiring possession of the land.
1898 Maurice River Range Lights, Delaware Bay, New Jersey. Title to the reservation was finally obtained. Designs and specifications were prepared, a contract for the erection of the dwelling, lantern, posts, oil shed, walks, etc., was made and the work of driving the foundation piles was begun.
1899 Maurice River range lights, Delaware Bay, New Jersey. The construction of the dwelling was completed. Lantern posts, temporary oil shed, coal shed, and temporary walks, were erected, and the range lights were exhibited for the first time on October 15, 1898. Various repairs were made. A topographical survey of the station was made, and four granite monuments were set to mark the boundaries of the reservation. Specifications were prepared and a contract made for furnishing the dwelling with window shutters, door and window screens, and the like.
1900 Maurice River range lights, Delaware Bay, New Jersey. A ladder and platform were erected at the rear range. The pressed lens lanterns in use on the range were replaced with 180-degree-silver reflector-standard-lens lanterns. A galvanized-iron oil house was built with a concrete floor and concrete-filled iron foundation columns. A contract was made for the erection of a new boat landing, an elevated board walk from the dwelling to the boat landing, and another from the dwelling to the front light, and for the construction of a drainage system. Various repairs were made.
1901 Maurice River range lights, Delaware Bay, New Jersey. The oil house was completed. A boat landing was erected. Elevated walks, having pile foundations, were built from the veranda to the boat landing and from the boat landing walk to the front light. The walk in the rear of the dwelling was extended. A resurvey of the bar at the river entrance was made, which showed that the range lights were properly located. Various repairs were made.
1902 Maurice River Range. Delaware Bay, New Jersey.An elevated board walk was built extending from the oil house to the rear lantern post, a distance of about 1,100 feet. Various repairs were made.
1912 Lights automated.
1951 Dwelling, boathouse, and 2.25 acres of land sold to Hunter and Rumbold, Esquires for $250.
1958 Station was accidentally burned down by hunters on April 27, 1958.
Keepers: Frank T. Hills (1898 1905), Rufus D. Luigo (1905), Daniel Bailey (1905 1911), David F. Marts (1911), Daniel Bailey (1911 1912).