Home Maps Resources Calendar About
Resources Calendar About
Fort Lafayette, NY  Lighthouse destroyed.   

Select a photograph to view a photo gallery

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

See our full List of Lighthouses in New York

Fort Lafayette Lighthouse

1874 – Fort La Fayette, New York.—The location of the fog-bell was finally decided to be on the sea-wall of the fort on the east side of the Narrows. The bell has been erected and was put in operation on the first day of August. 1960 – Fort Lafayette was demolished in 1960, when the island it stood on was repurposed for the base of the Brooklyn tower of the Verrazano-Narrows bridge.

Keepers: John Graves (1873 – 1876), R.H. Hegeman (1876 – at least 1885), Andreas C. Thorning (1887 – 1894), Stephen H. Leonard (1896 – 1898), Detlef Lassen (1898 – 1909), Magnus Anderson (1909 – at least 1917).

Copyright © 2001- Lighthousefriends.com
Pictures on this page copyright National Archives, Coast Guard, used by permission.
email Kraig