1874 Avery's Rock, Machias Bay, Maine.An appropriation of $15,000 was made at the last session of Congress for a light-house and fog-signal at or in vicinity of Avery's Rock. Plans are being prepared and steps have been taken to secure a site.
1875 Avery's Rock, Machias Bay, Maine.An appropriation of $15,000 was made by act approved June 23, 1874, for building a light house and fog-signal at this point. Measures were taken last year for the acquisition of the site, and, after some delay, a title and cession of jurisdiction were obtained. Work was commenced on the tower and dwelling early in the present year; but, owing to the roughness of the sea around this rock, some delay occurred in landing material. Considerable difficulty was experienced in preparing the rock, which is very uneven, to receive the foundation. The work, however, is now nearly completed, and the station will be ready for lighting in the course of the present season. A 1,200-pound bell, to be used as a fog signal, has been placed at this station.
1876 Avery's Rock, head of Machias Bay, Maine.The buildings at this station were completed and the light first exhibited October 15, 1875.
1876 On southern end of Averys Rock, Machias Bay, Maine. Lighted: October 15, 1875.
1879 Avery's Rock, Machias Bay, Maine.The exteriors of the dwelling and tower were painted white.
1880 Avery's Rock, Machias Bay, Maine.A window in the southeast side of the dwelling, which was broken by the sea, was renewed.
1881 Avery's Rock.A new fog-bell hammer and rope were furnished.
1881 Avery's Rock, Machias Bay, Maine.A concrete floor was laid in the cellar under the westerly part of the dwelling, and a brick cistern, 6 by 6 feet and 5 feet deep, inside, with 8-inch walls, was built; a wooden tank, of about 300 gallons capacity, was also furnished. A new door was made in the cellar wall, the drainage improved, and the exterior of the dwelling repainted.
1882 Avery's Rock, Machias Bay, Maine.Painted canvas has been substituted for the leaky tin covering of the dwelling roof. A new housepump, with pipe, was furnished.
1885 Avery's Rock, on Avery's Rock, in Machias Bay, Maine.The brick boat-house was enlarged in size from 14 by 17 feet to 14 by 23 feet, and certain repairs were made.
1888 Avery's Rock, in Machias Bay, Maine.A boat-house 10 feet by 20 feet in plan, with a boat-slip 50 feet long, was built and securely bolted to the ledge.
1889 Lightning conductors were provided and attached to the towers at the following-named stations: 5. Avery's Rock, Me.
1891 Avery Rock, on Avery Rock in Machias Bay, Maine.A boathouse was built to replace the boathouse carried away by the storm of 11-12 January, 1891; the boat-slip was extended to it, 500 square feet of platform of heavy timbers securely bolted to the ledge were laid in front of the dwelling in place of a concrete platform much damaged by the sea, the exposed corners of the dwelling were protected from the sea by heavy yellow-pine timbers bolted to the ledge, and minor repairs were made to the dwelling. A bell tower of yellow-pine timbers 10 inches square was erected on a more favorable site on the southeast of the dwelling and securely bolted to the ledge; the striking machine, which was thoroughly overhauled and repaired, and the bell were set up in the new tower, which was connected with the dwelling by a covered way of heavy timber.
1895 Avery R?ck, in Machias Bay, Maine.A bulkhead of heavy timbers well bolted to the ledge was built on the east side of the rock to protect the dwelling house from the sea. Heavy shutters were made and hung. Various repairs were made. The characteristic of the fog signal was changed from a blow struck every 11 seconds to a blow every 10 seconds.
1899 Avery Rock, Machias Bay, Maine.The tower is of brick, 12 feet square, and stands in the center of the dwelling, so dispersing the rooms occupied by the keeper's family that they can not be kept warm during the long and severe winters of this locality. It is estimated that at a cost not exceeding $1,700 a sufficient number of rooms for one family, arranged so that they can be easily heated, could be provided by adding a second story to part of the dwelling. The Board therefore recommends that an appropriation of this amount be made therefor.
1900 Avery Rock, in Machias Bay, Maine.A dangerous rock was removed at the approach to the boat slip. A new striking machine was provided for the fog bell. Various repairs were made.
1901 Avery Rock, in Machias Bay, Maine.The dwelling was repaired and improved, the boathouse was moved and enlarged, a footbridge was built to it across the chasm, and a new boat slip was built.
1902 Avery Rock, in Machias Bay, Maine.The intensity of the light was increased by changing it from fifth to fourth order. The pedestal for the new lens and three equalizing springs for the fog-bell striker were made in the machine shop in Boston. A bulkhead of hard pine, heavily bolted to the edge, was built to protect the boat slip from the sea.
1903 Avery Rock, in Machias Bay, Maine.A brick oil-house was built; a third rail was added to the boat slip; the fog-bell machinery was overhauled and repaired, and a boat-winch and car were provided.
1920 Repairing dwellings, tower, boat slip, and constructing timber bulkhead to protect station against sea. $2,001.26
1924 Keeper Elson L. Small awarded efficiency flag for 1924.
1934 Avery Rock Lighthouse was automated.
1947 Avery Rock Lighthouse was razed, and a light atop a skeletal tower was erected.
Keepers: Charles F. Chase (1875 1880), Thomas E. Dodge (1880 1883), Joseph M. Gordon (1883), John W. Guptill (1883 1890), John Connors (1890 1894), Warren A. Murch (1894 1899), John W. Guptill (1899), Edward T. Spurling (1899 1900), John B. Thurston (1900 1902), Herbert P. Richardson (1902), Walden B. Hodgkins (1902 1903), Josiah G. Larrabee (1903 1907), Leroy L. Myers (1907 at least 1912), Charles W. Allen (1913 1919), Earle R. Mitchell (1919 at least 1921), Elson L. Small (1922 1926), Edwin A. Pettegrow (1926 1933).