1856 The lights authorized to be built at Castle Pinckney and at Fort Sumter (Charleston harbor) have been completed and lighted.
1865 Temporary structures with steamer lenses occupy the sites (nearly) of the former lights upon Fort Sumter and Castle Pinckney, and answer a good purpose.
1866 The temporary skeleton tower and steamer lens erected at Fort Sumter have been removed, and a more permanent work substituted. The present structure consists of a substantial frame tower enclosed, carrying a fifth-order lantern and lens. A similar substitution was made at Castle Pinckney light-station.
1867 Fort Sumter, Castle Pinckney, and Battery Beacon stations are in good condition.
1868 Castle Pinckney.In good condition.
1869 Castle Pinckney, Charleston Harbor.The building has been painted during the year and is in good condition.
1874 Castle Pickney, on Castle Pickney, Charleston Harbor, South Carolina. This is a wood framed pyramidal beacon, 36 feet high to the focal plane, was built in 1866, and last repaired in 1872. It is now in a dilapidated state and in need of extensive repairs, the wood-work being mostly rotten. It will be better to rebuild the structure entire, which can be done for $2,000, and an appropriation of this amount is asked.
1875 Castle Pinckney, Charleston Harbor, South Carolina.An appropriation of $2,000 was made by act approved March 3,1875, for rebuilding this beacon, which was damaged in a hurricane the year previous. Should the appropriation recommended for Fort Ripley be made, this light can be discontinued and the appropriation revert to the Treasury.
1876 Castle Pinckney, Charleston Harbor, South Carolina.The work of rebuilding this beacon, for which an appropriation of $2,000 was made by Congress, will not be commenced, as the light will be discontinued when the one on Fort Ripley Shoal is built.
1877 Castle Pinckney, Charleston Harbor, South Carolina.This beacon will be discontinued on the completion of Fort Ripley Shoal light-station.
1878 Castle Pinckney, Charleston Harbor, South Carolina.This light will be discontinued on the completion of Fort Ripley Light.
1879 Castle Pinckney, on Castle Pinckney, Charleston Harbor, South Carolina, December 1, 1878 - discontinued.
1879 - By act of Congress approved March 3, 1879, an appropriation of $10,000 was made for establishing a depot for buoys and supplies at Castle Pinckney, Charleston Harbor, South Carolina. Examinations of the site have been made, and plans for a wharf are being prepared.
A wharf at the new custom-house furnishes temporary accommodation for buoys and light-house material. It is in bad condition, but will probably last until the new wharf at Castle Pinckney is built.
1908 The act approved February 26, 1907, authorized the establishment of 30 light-keepers' dwellings, at a cost not to exceed $6,500 each.
Under allotments made from the appropriation of $75,000 (act of Mar. 4, 1907) the following-described work has been accomplished:
Castle Pinckney, South Carolina.At the close of the fiscal year the building was completed, except for a ridge roll on roof, painting, plumbing, guttering, erection of structure for water tank, and some minor items of interior finish. The amount expended on account thereof, including outstanding liabilities, was $5,421.65.
1909 The balance of the appropriation for light-keepers' dwellings, made by the acts of March 4, 1907, and May 27, 1908, was applied to the construction of dwellings at the following-named light-stations:Castle Pinckney, S. C.
1914 On June 18, Iver Larsen, keeper, and Joel E. Hammett, assistant keeper, of Castle Pinckney Lighthouse Depot, N.C. rendered assistance during a heavy squall to a party in a capsized boat and saved the boat from probable destruction. See LSB August 1914.
1916 I. Larsen, depot keeper, assisted in mooring launch, grounded near depot, in safe place and transported crew to Charleston.
Keepers: Gilbert Dudley (1856), James Skillin (1856 at least 1859), A. G. Farris (1865), James Skillin (1865 1875), Charles J. Playar (1875), George W. Williams (1875 1876), Charles J. Playar (1876), G.B. Thompson (1876 1878), B.F. Lytle (1878).