1860 – A screw pile light-house has been erected on Merrill's Shell Bank, as a substitute for the light-vessel formerly at that place, and the light was exhibited for the first time on the night of 10th August last.
1860 – The new light-houses which have been put in operation during the year are as follows, viz: St. Clair flats, 4th order, and beacon 5th order ; Minot's Ledge, 2d order, being a substitute for a light-vessel; Craney island, 5th order, being a substitute for a light-vessel; Jupiter inlet, 1st order ; Merrill's shell bank, 4th order, being a substitute for a light-vessel; Southwest reef, 4th order, being a substitute for a light-vessel; Ship shoal, 2d order, being a substitute for a lightvessel; and Galveston, three beacons, 6th order, being substitutes for a light-vessel
1863 – The screw-pile structure at Merrill's Shell Bank was found in measurably good condition. A new illuminating apparatus was provided, the necessary repairs made, and the light re-exhibited.
1866 – The illuminating apparatus at Merrill's Shell Bank light-station has been changed from a fifth order to a fourth order lens, the wants of navigation of the locality rendering the change advisable.
1868 – Merrill’s Shell Bank.—In good condition.
1869 – Merrill's Shell Bank, Mississippi Sound.—A fog-bell has been furnished during the year. A cooking-stove and rope for boat-hoisting tackles supplied.
1871 – Merrill’s Shell Bank Light-station, Mississippi Sound.—Repairs have been made at this Light-station during the year.
1878 – Merrill’s Shell Bank, Mississippi Sound, Mississippi.—During the year a fog-bell struck by machinery was put in operation.
1880 – Merrill's Shell Bank, Mississippi Sound, Mississippi.—The shingle roof of this station caught fire in June, and burned slightly, doing but little damage. Orders have been given for its repair. The station is in good order.
1881 – MerriIl’s Shell Bank, Mississippi Sound, between Cat Island, Saint Joseph's, and Grand Island, Mississippi.— The station was painted throughout and the wood-work was repaired. The iron foundation-piles were scaled, scraped, and coal-tarred. The station is in good order.
1882 – Merrill’s Shell Bank, Mississippi Sound, Mississipipi.—The station was supplied with mineral-oil lamps; it is in fair order.
1884 – Merrill’s Shell-Bank, north side of main channel of Mississippi Sound, between Cat Island, Saint Joseph's Island, and Grand Island, Mississippi.— This structure was burned on the morning of September 6, 1883, when everything was completely destroyed, leaving only the five iron piles upon which the superstructure was built. A new house was erected on the old iron piles, after the style of the Northwest Passage light-house, modified to fit the iron piles already driven. Material was ordered and work was commenced on the new house in September, and the new light was exhibited on November 20,1883. The new structure has a slate roof, is furnished with a cistern of 1,360 gallons capacity, and it has one of the Luckey boat hoisters. This station is complete and in good order.
1892 - 773. Merrill Shell Bank; between Cat Island, St. Joseph Island, and Grand Island, Mississippi.—The iron ladder from the water to the first landing was renewed with one taken from South Pass depot. The old gutters were renewed with galvanized iron gutters and pipe. Various repairs were made.
1929 – Charles H. Carlson, keeper of Merrill Shell Bank Light Station, Miss., rendered assistance on July 29 to two persons who were adrift in a disabled motor skiff. He towed them into Pass Christian that night, returning to the station the next morning.
1931 – Lighthouse was automated.
1945 – Merrill’s Shell Bank Lighthouse was discontinued.