1854 And be it further enacted, That if, after a careful hydrographical examination of the locality, and the approaches thereto, shall have been made, it is found that the light at the entrance to Vermillion Bay, Louisiana, is not necessary for the navigation of that bay and the adjacent coasts, it shall be extinguished; and the Secretary of the Treasury is authorized to cause the lands and buildings belonging thereto to be sold, in the same manner as is provided in the fifth section of this bill.
1855 June 1. Light discontinued.
1879 Southwest Pass of Vermillion Bay, Louisiana.Some years ago a light stood on Marsh Island, to mark the entrance through this pass into Vermillion Bay, but was destroyed. The importance of this pass has lately been brought into prominence, through the development of the salt mines on Petit Anse Island, the pass being the nearest outlet for the product of the mines. This pass also affords an anchorage in heavy weather for light-draught vessels plying on the Gulf coast. A light at this point would also tend to illuminate a dark space on the coast between Southwest Reef and Calcasieu light-stations, a distance of some one hundred miles without a light.
Keepers: Alexander Kinns (1841), John Campbell (1841 ), Amos Butcher (1843 1849), Luke Hollier (1849 1850), Amos Butcher (1850 1851), E. Mendoza (1851 1853), Jean Baptiste Perret (1853 1855), John Shaw (1855).