Home Maps Resources Calendar About
Resources Calendar About
Red Fish Bar Cut, TX  Lighthouse destroyed.   

Select a photograph to view a photo gallery

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

See our full List of Lighthouses in Texas

Red Fish Bar Cut Lighthouse

1900 – Red Fish Bar Cut, Galveston Bay, Texas.—Under the special appropriation of $8,000, this station was built in about 2 feet of water on Red Fish Bar, Galveston Bay, to the easterly side of the dredged cut through the bar, and a fixed white light of the fifth order was established in it on March 20, 1900. It consists of a square iron pile foundation, painted brown, surmounted by a square white dwelling, with green door and window blinds, from the roof of which there rises a black lantern. The fog-bell is on the gallery of the dwelling on the side next the cut.

1900 – Red Fish Bar Cut light-station, Galveston Bay, Texas.—A bell struck by machinery April 3, 1900.

1913 – George R. Smith, keeper, and Leon R. Smith, assistant, rescued and cared for man from stranded sloop; also saved a large portion of cargo, and when weather moderation go sloop off reef into deep water. December.

1914 – George R. Smith, keeper, and Leon R. Smith, assistant, brought to the light station 7 men, passengers and crew of power boat Florence, which had blown ashore on reef. Happened on January 29, 1914.

1915 - George R. Smith, keeper, and Leon R. Smith, assistant, assisted disabled launch; cared for the 4 occupants overnight. Happened on January 11.

1916 – G.R. Smith, keeper, and L.R. Smith, assistant, maintained light during hurricane.
George R. Smith, keeper, and Leon R. Smith, assistant keeper, of Red Fish Bar Cut Light Station, Tex., for assistance rendered the schooner Adele, which foundered in the vicinity of Red Fish Bar Cut Light Station, and also Keeper George R. Smith for assistance rendered three men on the motor tug Fortune, which was wrecked off Red Fish Bar Cut Light Station. Happened on May 18 and June 5 1916.

1917 – G.R. Smith, keeper, and L.R. Smith, assistant, assisted disabled launch Emmy and furnished provisions and water to occupants. Happened on January 2, 1917.

1918 – George R. Smith and Leon R. Smith, keeper and assistant keeper, furnished man in disabled motor launch food and shelter. Happened on January 16, 1918.

1920 – Keeper George R. Smith awarded lighthouse efficiency flag for 1920.
George R. Smith keeper, and L.R. Smith, assistant, rescued a man and a boy from drowning whose motor launch had sunk. Happened on Aug 24, 1920.
The launch Daisy, of Lake Charles, La., grounded in Red Fish Bar Cut, Tex., on June 25. George R. Smith, keeper of Red Fish Bar Cut Light Station, and Leon R. Smith, assistant keeper, found the two occupants sick with fever, and as they were unable to float the launch put them on a boat bound for Houston.

1921 - G. R. Smith, keeper, and L. R. Smith, assistant keeper, Red Fish Bar Cut Light Station, Tex., went to the assistance of five persons who had taken refuge on a shell dump in the vicinity of the station, after their launch had sunk, and assisted in refloating the launch. Happened on October 13-14.

1921 – On the Night of December 19, 1921, Leon R. Smith, Assistant Keeper, Red Fish Bar Light Station, Tex., rendered valuable assistance to a launch, with two men and two women aboard which had grounded in the vicinity of the light station.

1922 – G.R. Smith, keeper, and L. R. Smith, assistant keeper, Red Fish Bar Cut Light Station, Tex., went to the assistance of two men in a launch which had grounded in vicinity of station. Happened on November 23, 1922.

1923 – G.R. Smith, keeper, and Leon R. Smith, assistant, went to assistance of launch with three men aboard, which had grounded in the vicinity of station.

1924 – J.D. Balsille, keeper, and L. R. Smith, assistant keeper, of Red Fish Bar Cut Light Station, on November 23 conveyed in the station launch to San Leon, Tex., a fishing party of five men who were marooned on a reef in the vicinity of the lighthouse, and on November 24 a fishing party of two men and two women who were unable to get away from a reef in the vicinity of the station during a strong northwest wind. 1925 – John D. Balsillie, keeper of Red Fish Bar Cut Light Station, Tex., on March 1 rendered assistance to the occupants of the launch Nadine when that vessel dragged anchor and was driven ashore in the vicinity of the station.
Leon R. Smith, assistant keeper of Red Fish Bar Cut Lighthouse, Tex., on May 3, rescued three men found clinging to an overturned skiff more than a mile distant from the station.

1926 – John D. Balsillie, keeper of Red Fish Bar Cut Light Station, Tex., and Leon R. Smith, assistant keeper, on November 1 rendered assistance to the two survivors of a fishing party who were marooned on a reef near the station.

1936 – Lighthouse discontinued and replaced with a skeletal tower.

Keepers:

  • Head: George R. Smith (1900 – 1924), John D. Balsillie (1924 – 1927).
  • Assistant: Charles A. Bowman (1903 – 1907), Leon R. Smith (1907), John B. Mason (1907 – 1908), John Asplund (1908 – 1909), Benjamin F. Tucker (1910 – 1911), Malcolm W. Sprinkle (1911), Alex Reed (1911 – 1912), G. G. Guth (1912), Leon R. Smith (1912 – 1927).

Copyright © 2001- Lighthousefriends.com
Pictures on this page copyright Coast Guard, used by permission.
email Kraig