Home Maps Resources Calendar About
Resources Calendar About
Scotch Cap, AK  Lighthouse best viewed by boat or plane.Lighthouse destroyed.   

Select a photograph to view a photo gallery

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

See our full List of Lighthouses in Alaska

Scotch Cap Lighthouse

Perched on the rugged southeastern shore of Unimak Island, where the Aleutian chain begins its long sweep toward Asia, Scotch Cap Light Station was one of the most remote and weather-beaten outposts ever established by the United States Lighthouse Service. For more than four decades, from its completion in 1903 until its destruction in 1946, the station guided mariners through Unimak Pass—one of the world’s great natural maritime gateways—while enduring fierce storms, isolation, earthquakes, shipwrecks, and finally one of the most powerful tsunamis ever recorded in North America. Its history is one of engineering ambition, hardship, heroism, and tragedy played out on the edge of the Pacific.

Original plans for Scotch Cap Lighthouse drawn by Carl W. Leick
Photograph courtesy National Archives
The story of Scotch Cap Lighthouse began in 1901, when Congress authorized $40,600 to construct a light and fog signal station at the eastern end of Unimak Island. With trans-Pacific steamship routes passing near the Aleutian Islands and growing traffic between northwest U.S. ports and Alaska’s Bering Sea communities, the need for reliable aids to navigation in the region was increasing. Unimak Pass, the primary route between the Pacific Ocean and the Bering Sea, presented particular hazards, as it lay directly in the path of frequent fog, gales, and strong currents.

The Lighthouse Service prepared plans and specifications for the new station and opened bids on March 22, 1902. Every proposal came in far above the government estimate. As a result, the Service elected to build the station using hired labor while purchasing materials by contract. The steamer Homer, a 665-ton vessel chartered for the work, left Seattle on June 30, 1902, carrying workers, tools, and supplies. She arrived at Scotch Cap on July 13 and discharged her cargo onto the rugged shore.

Throughout the short Aleutian summer, the construction crew labored to establish the new station. The 1902 season saw significant progress: the fog-signal building and tower were completed except for one concrete engine bed, final paint, and the lantern room glass; two oil houses were nearly finished; the barn stood ready for interior stalls; and three dwellings were assembled, awaiting exterior paint and interior finishing. Work ceased on November 27, when worsening weather made further construction impossible.

The Homer returned on May 10, 1903, with more materials and personnel. Through the spring and early summer, the crew completed the heating systems, painting, and interior woodwork. The third-order Fresnel lens was installed, and on June 18, 1903, the light shone for the first time across Unimak Pass. The fog signal machinery was ready on July 17, 1903, but it was discovered upon starting that three check valves were broken, making the signal useless. After new valves were procured, the signal was ready for operation on September 16, 1903.

Scotch Cap Lighthouse was unaccompanied—a “bachelor station”—meaning no family members were allowed to reside there. Keepers were carefully selected bachelors or widowers who passed rigorous physical examinations and agreed to remain on station for three years before receiving a year of accumulated leave. Five men were assigned: four on duty and one on leave at any given time. After the Coast Guard assumed control in 1939, the tours were reduced to one year, though the station remained unaccompanied.

Keepers took up hobbies like hunting, trapping, hiking, and reading to pass their time at Scotch Cap. In 1912, head keeper Michael Ludescher ordered a nine-volume set of Ridpath’s History of the World at a cost of thirty-nine dollars and agreed to pay upon delivery of the books at Scotch Cap Lighthouse. The set was received aboard the Tender Armeria in Seattle on March 30, but the tender wrecked off Cape Hinchinbrook on May 20, and very little, including the books, was salvaged. The Western Newspaper Association, the seller of the books, sent several letters trying to recoup the purchase price, but found no sympathy with Keeper Ludescher or officers of the Lighthouse Service.

Plans for second Scotch Cap Lighthouse
Photograph courtesy National Archives
The work was demanding and the isolation intense. Fog, wind, snow, and bitter cold dominated the weather. By 1905, a windbreak had been built behind the fog-signal building to protect it from the relentless gales. That same year, a telephone and call-bell system was installed and a handrail erected along the steep path between the dwellings and the fog-signal house. In January 1906, a major snowslide damaged one of the dwellings and the barn, sweeping away the call-bell wires and handrail—an early indication of the geologic volatility of the region.

Yet despite the hardships, the keepers often provided essential humanitarian aid. In 1914, Assistant Keeper William J. Pearson sheltered a stranded prospector, Henry Taiplus, for three months. On August 18, 1917, Keeper Edmund Moore and his assistants rescued and cared for twelve shipwrecked sailors from the Japanese steamer Kotohira Maru, who had landed their lifeboat at 1 a.m. in heavy surf at the station three weeks after their steamer had run aground on Amchitka Island, over 700 miles away. Moore continued his reputation for hospitality in 1919 and 1920, providing food, lodging, and assistance to shipwrecked sailors from the Premier and Hecla, and helping two stranded trappers who were out of provisions and gasoline.

The Lighthouse Service gradually modernized the station. A tramway and hoisting engine were installed in 1916, and the original ten-inch air whistle was replaced with a diaphone fog signal that same year. A powerful foghorn was especially needed at Scotch Cap as in 1919, it was the station on the Pacific Coast that recorded the most fog that year: 1,346 hours. In 1919, the illuminant at Scotch Cap was changed from oil to incandescent oil vapor, increasing the candlepower of the light from 2,300 to 7,320.

Communication upgrades proved especially significant. In 1921, the Navy installed experimental radiotelephone equipment at both Scotch Cap and Cape Sarichef, allowing the stations—seventeen miles apart—to communicate directly. Though the system experienced early difficulties, including burned-out generators and a collapsed antenna mast, by 1922 the keepers had mastered the equipment well enough to maintain reliable communication. One keeper even reported broadcasting phonograph music to Cape Sarichef by placing the transmitter inside a phonograph sound box—an early form of radio entertainment in the remote Aleutians.

Remains of Scotch Cap Lighthouse after April 1, 1946 Tsunami
Photograph courtesy Coast Guard Museum Northwest
In 1930, a radiobeacon was established at Scotch Cap, greatly expanding the station’s navigational reach. Located in one of the foggiest regions on earth, the radiobeacon provided a continuous coded signal detectable for 100–200 miles, giving mariners precise bearings long before the light itself became visible. Its innovative schedule—continuous transmissions during the first ten minutes of each half-hour in clear weather and alternating 60-second transmissions with 120-second silences during fog—provided ships not only with position information but also with real-time notice of visibility conditions in the pass. This was the first station to adopt the method of different transmission during clear and foggy weather.

Despite these improvements, Unimak Pass remained treacherous, and the waters near Scotch Cap saw several shipwrecks. In February 1930, the Japanese freighter Koshun Maru grounded directly in front of the lighthouse during a blinding snowstorm. In 1942, the Russian freighter Turksib, traveling in convoy during wartime blackout conditions, also stranded near the station. Attempts by the U.S. Navy vessel Rescuer (ARS-18) to pull her free failed, as the salvage vessel struck an uncharted reef and was lost. The Turksib soon broke apart, and station personnel recovered the bodies of the captain and chief engineer and buried them behind the lighthouse. Barrels of powdered eggs and other supplies washed ashore, attracting numerous brown bears. Keepers reported watching bears smash barrels with their paws, often fighting violently—sometimes twenty bears crowding a single stretch of beach.

Wartime activity intensified during the early 1940s as the Aleutian Islands became a theater of conflict. In March 1942, the Alaskan Steamship Company’s S.S. Mount McKinley lost her rudder near Unimak Pass and drifted ashore at Sennett Point, where she remained for years. Crews from Scotch Cap and Cape Sarichef visited the grounded ship during calm weather, even gathering in the saloon to play the grand piano still aboard.

By the late 1930s, the original 1903 lighthouse—an octagonal wooden tower—was showing its age. The Coast Guard, now responsible for America’s aids to navigation, replaced it in 1940 with a reinforced concrete structure costing $200,000. Considered one of the most modern lighthouses in the world at the time, the new building consolidated personnel quarters, the lantern, fog signal, and machinery under one roof. The third-order Fresnel lens and lantern from the original tower were reused, and the characteristic was a white flash every fifteen seconds, visible for fifteen miles. A powerful diaphone fog signal and radiobeacon completed the system. On the bluff above, the radio direction-finding (DF) station served as an important navigational and military asset during World War II.

Though sturdier and more technologically advanced, the new lighthouse was built on the same general level as the original—about ninety-two feet above high water. This elevation would prove tragically insufficient.

Shortly after 1:30 a.m. on April 1, 1946, a violent earthquake struck the region. At the DF station above Scotch Cap, Coast Guardsman Hoban Sanford reported that the building groaned, lockers shook open, and objects fell from shelves. A second, sharper shock followed at 1:57 a.m. The keepers at the lighthouse reported feeling the quake and attempted to contact Dutch Harbor for information.

Unknown to them, the earthquake had triggered a massive submarine landslide in the Aleutian Trench approximately seventy miles offshore. The collapse displaced enormous volumes of water, generating what is now recognized as a Pacific-wide tsunami.

At 2:18 a.m., Sanford heard a terrible roaring sound before a wall of water struck the DF station itself, flooding parts of the building. He immediately ordered the men to higher ground and radioed a priority message stating his belief that Scotch Cap Light Station had been destroyed.

At daylight, Sanford climbed to the edge of the cliff where the lighthouse had stood. Below him, the entire structure was gone. Only the concrete foundation and scattered fragments remained. The sixty-foot-tall concrete tower, the keeper’s quarters, and all machinery had been obliterated by a wave later estimated at well over 100 feet in height.

All five men at the station—Officer-in-Charge Chief Boatswain’s Mate Anthony L. Petit, Motor Machinist’s Mate 2nd Class Leonard Pickering, Seaman 1st Class Dewey Dykstra, Seaman 1st Class Paul J. Ness, and Fireman 1st Class Jack Colvin—were lost, likely killed instantly. In the days that followed, searchers located only fragments of remains. Paul Ness’s body was recovered and buried along with unidentified portions of others 300 yards east of the station.

The tsunami continued across the Pacific, devastating parts of Hawaii and ultimately leading to the creation of the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center. But nowhere was the destruction more complete than at Scotch Cap, where the wave swept away a building thought to be nearly indestructible.

Despite the tragedy, the need for navigational aids in Unimak Pass remained. A temporary light was established on the site of the disaster just a few weeks later. By 1950, a new lighthouse had been constructed high on the bluff above the destroyed station—a rectangular concrete building with a short metal tower supporting a 240,000-candlepower aerobeacon 116 feet above sea level. The station retained a diaphone fog signal and continued to serve mariners for decades.

Automation arrived in 1971, eliminating the need for a resident crew. A skeletal tower later replaced the 1950 structure, and the fog signal was discontinued. Today only fragments of concrete and scattered debris mark the site of the 1940 lighthouse, and the lonely headland serves as both a navigational point and a memorial to the five Coast Guardsmen who lost their lives in 1946.

In 1962, Rear Admiral C. C. Knapp, commander of the Seventeenth Coast Guard District, secured a bronze plaque to a building at Scotch Cap in memory of the five Coast Guardsmen who lost their lives in the tsunami. The plaque bears a replica of Scotch Cap Lighthouse and reads: “Near this site, Scotch Cap Light Station was destroyed by a seismic sea wave on 1 April 1946.” Anthony Petit, who was in charge of Scotch Cap Lighthouse when the tsunami struck, had a buoy tender named after him in 1999. Senator Frank Murkowski and his wife Nancy christened the vessel, which has since served in Alaska waters maintaining fixed and floating navigational aids.

Keepers:

  • Head: Eugene M. Walters (1903 – 1907), Ole Olsen (1907 – 1909), Michael Ludescher (1909 – 1912), Edmund Moore (1913 – 1916), Nils C. Monsen (1916 – 1917), Edmund Moore (1917 – 1920), Odin B. Lokken (1920 – 1931), Charles L. Shepardson (1931 – 1933), Nicholas Kashevaroff (1933 – 1935), George Alexius (1934 – 1936), George C. Francis (1936 – 1937), George Alexius (1937 – 1940), Harry W. Chambers (1940 – 1941), Oscar Lindberg (at least 1942), Anthony L. Petit (1945 – 1946), David L. Nimmo (at least 1962), Jack Andreasen (1963 – 1964), Robert M. Brooks (1964 – 1965), Jesse R. Pope (1965), Richard A. Wendland (1965 – 1966), Melvin J. Peruski (1966 – 1967), Lawrence A. Blain (1967 – 1968), Daryl L. Carpenter (1968), Donald F. LeFrancis (1969), Elwood V. Morrison (1970 – 1971).
  • First Assistant: Sylvenus F. Shepard (1903 – 1905), Frank E. Hulbert (1905 – 1906), Frits W. Larsen (1906 – 1908), William J. Pearson (1908 – 1913), Charles E. Schulze (1913 – 1916), William A. Phillips (1916 – 1917), Charles E. Schulze (1917 – 1918), William A. Phillips (1919 – 1922), Nicholas Kashevaroff (1922 – 1924), Ford J. Rhines (1924 – 1926), Oscar Lindberg (1926 – 1927), Nicholas Kashevaroff (1927 – 1928), Oscar Lindberg (1928 – 1931), Grant McGregor (1931 – 1933), Oscar Lindberg (1933 – 1935), George C. Francis (1935), Oscar Lindberg (1935 – 1939), Harry W. Chambers (1939 – 1940), Oscar Lindberg (1940 – 1943).
  • Second Assistant: Mortimer Galvin (1903 – 1904), Frank E. Hulbert (1904 – 1905), Frits W. Larsen (1905 – 1906), Sigvart G. Olsen (1906 – 1910), Soren Olsen (1910 – 1912), John M. McLeod (1912 –1913), Baard J. Lervick (1913 – 1916), George J. Smith (1916 – 1917), Ellery A. Teeter (1917 – 1918), Nicholas Kashevaroff (1918 – 1919), John C. Cocheran (1919 – 1921), Michael Connellan (1921 – 1924), Oscar Lindberg (1924 – 1926), Clyde A. Wylie (1926), Joe Thomas (1926 – 1927), Charles L. Shepardson (1927 – 1929), Ernest F. Klette (1929 – 1931), George C. Francis (1931 – 1933), Ervin A. Tift (1933 – 1935), George Alexius (1935), Alfred T. Gilbert (1935), Harry W. Chambers (1935 – 1938), George R. Wilson (1938 – 1939), Kelly J. Burke (1939 – 1942).
  • Third Assistant: Edward A. Beard (1913), John M. McLeod (1913 – ), Carl E. Peterson (1914), George J. Smith (1916), August N. Detlefsen (1926 – 1928), Dewey Dykstra ( – 1946).
  • USCG: Arthur E. Johnston (1941 – 1943), Leonard Pickering ( – 1946), Paul J. Ness ( – 1946), Jack Colvin ( – 1946), H.J. Rueckert (1963 – 1964), C.E. Miller (1963 – 1964), D. Brasuell (1963 – 1964), Wayne A. Lowdermilk (1963 – 1964), Robert W. Ingram (1964), M.S. Gough (1964), Roy D. Pyle, Jr. (1964), W.J. Eldridge (1964 – 1965), J.H. Gosnell (1964 – 1965), J.O. Lowery (1964 – 1965), Russell J. Kocsis (1965), M.A. Marsh (1965), Gaylord A. Reddick (1965), Allen E. Mosley (1965), B.F. Baty (1965 – 1966), Charles R. Smith (1965 – 1966), P.J. Ste. Marie (1965 – 1966), H.R. Holzaptel (1965 – 1966), William P. Ryan (1966 – 1967), B.G. Holland (1966 – 1967), Henry N. Curry (1966 – 1967), E.J. Saulter (1966 – 1967), Pat J. Doalin (1967), John L. Herzog (1967), Donald W. Todd (1967), Mark L. Snyder (1967), Carriker (1967), David C. Kaufman (1967 – 1968), James W. Cook (1967 – 1968), Gerald LeClair (1967 – 1968), Joseph C. Huguet (1967 – 1968), Steve Kesterson (1968), Dennis Carter (1968), Howard Pashia (1968), Stephen A. Brown (1968 – 1969), Leslie L. Wedge (1968 – 1969), John H. Rogers (1968– 1969), Marchant (1969), L.E. Marr (1969), Larry B. Wetzel (1969), J.T. Walton (1969 – 1970), H.W. Klein (1969 – 1970), E.R. Pent (1970), G.A. Sympson (1970), Glenn Wilkerson (1970), D.C. Ochsner (1970), D.R. Hernandez (1970), A.A. Jaramillo (1970), K.P. Sibila (1970), R.J. Puperi (1970 – 1971), L.J. Brandon (1970 – 1971), C. Cardona (1970 – 1971).

References

  1. Annual Report of the Lighthouse Board, various years.
  2. Lighthouse Service Bulletin, various years.
  3. “Scotch Cap Light Station, Alaska and the 1946 Earthquake,” The Keeper’s Log, Spring, 2006.

Copyright © 2001- Lighthousefriends.com
Pictures on this page copyright Coast Guard, used by permission.
email Kraig