George McKay was hired as the first keeper of the lighthouse and was given a salary of £100 plus £15 for a fuel allowance. Keeper McKay was known for keeping a good light as evidence by this glowing report William Condon made in 1857:
A fixed white light from three catoptric lamps, with reflectors, and seven Argand lamps without reflectors. The building is square and painted white, and is used both for a light house and dwelling. Arrived at this place on the 30th of June, landed stores and inspected the establishment. I found everything appertaining to lantern, lamps, &c. in perfect order, and the dwelling part of the house very clean and neat. This light has a very good reputation for being always well kept, and the keeper has the name of being very attentive to his duties.George McKay passed away in 1882, and Robie McKay, his son, was appointed keeper in his stead. The lantern room deck atop the lighthouse was rebuilt in 1891, and a new lantern room, with a diametre of twelve feet, was installed in place of the old one that had been condemned. That same year, using day labour, foreman James McKay rebuilt a corner of the foundation, repaired and shingled the barn, and rebuilt the road to the boat landing all for $950.
In 1899, the front door of the lighthouse was moved from the north side of the lighthouse to the south side. The illuminating apparatus was improved in 1913 through the installation of a single-flash, long-focus reflector in place of the old catoptric apparatus.
The illuminant was changed to electricity in 1960, and the light became unwatched. J. X. DeCoste then served as caretaker of the light until November 1, 1964. A white, circular, fibreglass tower, marked by two horizontal red bands, was bolted to a concrete pad on the point in 1966 to take the place of the old 1842 lighthouse. The light atop the fibreglass tower was discontinued in late 2013, and the tower was reportedly removed from the site in 2017.
Keepers: George McKay (1842 1882), Robie McKay (1882 1914), John H. McDonald (1914 1915), James McEachern (1915 1931), Howard Carrigan (1931 1932), Fred Brow (1932 1945), Stephen C. Pelrine (1945 at least 1958).