The Department of Marine announced the completion of the range in its annual report of 1901:
Two range lights were put in operation on October 10, 1901, at Charlo harbour, on the north-western side of Tor Bay. Each building is a square wooden tower, with sloping sides, surmounted by a square wooden lantern, the whole painted white, and each tower is 23 feet high from its base to the top of the ventilator on the lantern.Stephen C. Richard was appointed keeper of the range on November 4, 1901 at an annual salary of $120. A decade later, Alexander Richard became their second keeper, and he served until at least 1923.
The front tower stands on ground 11 feet above high water mark, 50 feet back from the water's edge, on the extremity of the point on the west side of the harbour. The light is a fixed white light, elevated 28 feet above high water mark, and should be visible 3 miles in, and over a small arc on each side of, the line of range. The illuminating apparatus is catoptric.
The back tower stands 742 feet N. W. ˝ W. from the front tower. The light is a fixed white light, elevated 51 feet above high water mark, and should be visible 3 miles in, and over a small arc on each side of, the line of range. The illuminating apparatus is catoptric.
Vessels bound for Charlo harbour should keep Cole harbour red range lights in one until the alignment is intersected by that of the Charlo harbour range lights. From that point a course N. W. ˝ W. in the alignment of the Charlo harbour range lights will lead in clear of the reefs off Forsters island.
The buildings were erected by the department under the supervision of Mr. A. McLellan, at a cost of $814.29.
Charlos Harbour Range Lights were discontinued in 1988. The front tower has been destroyed, but the rear tower remains standing in the village.
Head Keepers: Stephen C. Richard (1901 – 1911), Alexander Richard (1911 – at least 1923).