The lighthouse is an inclosed wooden building square in plan, with sloping sides, painted white, surmounted by an octagonal iron lantern painted red. It is 34 feet in height from its base to the ventilator on the lantern. The lighthouse stands on ground elevated 46 feet above high-water mark, and is 65 feet back from the edge of the bank.Angus A. Buchanan, who also served as a member of the Legislative Assembly of Nova Scotia, was hired as the first keeper of the lighthouse on August 14, 1899 as an annual salary of $150. In 1910, Keeper Buchanan was given a hand-operated foghorn that he was required to sound in response to signals from vessels during periods of limited visibility. George Sweet, Jr. replaced Buchanan as keeper in 1911 and was in charge of the lighthouse for the next twenty years.
The light is fixed red, elevated 73 feet above high water, and visible 8 miles from all points of approach by water. The illuminating apparatus is dioptric of the seventh order.
The work was done by Mr. P. McFarlane, of Baddeck, under contract for $725.
On November 2, 1956, a 200-watt electric light bulb replaced the oil lamp that had been used in the lighthouse, and six days later, Walter Bragg, who had been keeper of the lighthouse for over twenty years, was out of a job.
In 1964, a time clock was used to turn the light on and off, and a standby twelve-volt, battery-operated light was used in case of power failure.
For several years, Scott Hatcher operated an ice cream shop in the lighthouse during the summer. Scott went away to school in Halifax, but after finding city life wasnít for him, he returned to Neilís Harbour. The villageís volunteer fire department had previously sold ice cream out of the lighthouse starting in 1999, but Scotty Hatcher took over the operation in 2003. Scottís brother, Tim, and girlfriend, Skye MacDonald, also helped run the shop.
In 2015, Neilís Harbour Lighthouse was declared a heritage lighthouse under the Heritage Lighthouse Portection Act that was passed in 2008, and ownership of the lighthouse was transferred to Neilís Harbour-New Haven Community Development Association. Renovations of a heritage lighthouse must meet strict heritage building requirements, and a heritage lighthouse may not be demolished unless there is no reasonable alternative. The development association has been running the ice cream shop since 2016.
Neilís Harbour-New Haven Community Development Association entered the lighthouse in ďThis Lighthouse Matters,Ē a crowdfunding competition sponsored by National Trust for Canada and the Nova Scotia Lighthouse Preservation Society in 2015. Twenty-six lighthouses in Nova Scotia competed for online votes in three different categories: High Tide, Ebb Tide, and Low Tide. The top three vote-getters in each category were given monetary awards that totaled $250,000. Neilís Harbour Lighthouse came in second in the Low Tide category and won $10,000. Using the prize money, rotten wooden in the lighthouse was replaced and a leak in the lantern room was repaired.
Keepers: Angus A. Buchanan (1899 Ė 1911), George Sweet, Jr. (1911 Ė 1931), Walter Bragg (at least 1936 Ė 1956).