Parliament appropriated funds for a lighthouse at Beaver Harbour, Charlotte County in 1874, and a site on Drews Head, just south of the harbour, was selected that fall and eventually purchased from Lewis Holmes at a cost of $100. Messrs. W. B. Deacon and John Ward of Shediac built the lighthouse, which consisted of a square, wooden tower, attached to a dwelling, under a contract for $1,650.
John H. Harding, the agent for the Department of Marine at Saint John, visited Drews Head on August 31, 1876 and reported that he was both surprised and pleased to see the improvements that had been carried out since the lighthouse was built. Keeper Munro, aided by his family, had cleared the property and built a small wharf for landing supplies. Though described as “a man of weakly constitution,” Keeper Munro was credited for being “very attentive to his work, and desirous of discharging his duties to the best of his ability.” In 1877, Ezra Munro requested a raise of $100 as even with the most rigid economy he was unable to maintain his large family and did not want to become “pecuniarily embarrassed.”
In 1882, Ezra Munro exchanged assignments with Edward Dukes Snell, who was keeper of the Southwest Wolf Island Lighthouse. In doing so, Munro’s salary was increased to $500, which should have been sufficient to support his family. Keeper Snell served at Drews Head for nearly ten years until his unexpected passing in February of 1892. Born in England, Snell served on a British man-of-war before settling in New Brunswick and working as a pilot out of St. Andrews for several years. After his time as a pilot, he started his career as a keeper at Southwest Wolf Island. In his obituary, Edward Snell was remembered as “a splendid specimen of physical manhood – a typical ‘old sea dog’.”
David Eldridge was paid $30 in 1892 for making sixty-three rods (300 metres) of road from the lighthouse to the public road. In 1900, a hand foghorn was supplied to Keeper John C. Conley to be used whenever the fog signals of vessels in the vicinity of the stations were heard. A seventh-order lens and lamp were substituted for the antiquated lamps and reflectors in 1905. The new lamp burned petroleum vapour under an incandescent mantle to produce a fixed white light that could be seen ten miles. In 1915, a fourth-order lamp was installed in the lantern room.
John "Melvin" Eldridge, who served as keeper for several years in the early 1900s, was the grandson of Lewis Holmes, from whom the land for the lighthouse was purchased. Lewis Holmes' daughter, Amelia, married David Eldridge, and Melvin was their son.
The original combination dwelling and tower served until the late 1960s, when it was replaced by a skeletal tower. The present fiberglass tower dates from 1984.
Until recent years, this lighthouse was known as Drew’s Head; now, it has the appropriate but non-distinct designation of Lighthouse Point. The nearby sheltered harbour houses an active salmon farm (a common sight for locals but a curiosity for visitors) also known as aquatic crop circles.
Keepers: Ezra Munro (1875 – 1882), Edward Dukes Snell (1882 – 1892), John C. Conley (1892 – 1904), John "Melvin" Eldridge (1904 – 1926), Roy A. Sparks (1928 – at least 1939), Hazen Holmes (1952 – 1957), Garnett William Eldridge (1957 – 1967), Edward N. Wilson (1967 – 1970), C.A. Stuart (1970 – 1983), R.C. Stuart (1983 – 1984).