|Little Channel Range Rear, PE|
Description: The Little Channel Range Lights were established in 1872 on the northern side of Conway Inlet, an opening between two barrier islands on the northern shore of Prince Edward Island. Little Channel is located on the northwest end of Bill Hook Island, also known as Fish Island, and the Malpeque Harbour Approach Range Lights are located on the southeast end of Bill Hook Island.
In 1874, a year after Prince Edward Island entered Confederation, the General Superintendent of Lighthouses toured the island and described the Little Channel Range as being "of the most temporary description." A small tower and a companion range light on a moveable frame were recommended for the station along with a dwelling and an oil store.
A contract was entered into with Peter Miller, of Ellerslie, in 1876 to construct two range-light towers at Little Channel or Conway Inlet for $900, and these improved lights were completed on August 8th and first exhibited on August 20th, 1877. The front light was shown from an open framework tower with a height of 6.1 metres (20 feet), while the rear light was shown from a white square wooden tower with a height of 9.1 metres (30 feet). The towers were spaced 60.3 metres (198 feet) apart. William Hardy served as the first keeper of the Little Channel Range Lights and served for roughly fifty years.
William Mitchell, agent of the Department of Marine and Fisheries for Prince Edward Island, visited the station on July 26, 1878 and noted that the lights, which consisted of two circular-burners, with 20-inch reflectors, were in good order.
A new block or foundation was provided for the front range light in 1885 and again in 1928.
The Little Channel Range Lights were deactivated in 1969, and the rear tower was subsequently relocated and incorporated into a dwelling near Freeland where it is roughly 6.4 km (4 miles) from its original location.
Keepers: William Hardy, Jr. (1874 – ).
Located on a point overlooking Conway Narrows. The lighthouse is privately owned. Grounds/tower closed.
The lighthouse is privately owned. Grounds/tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, used by permission.