|Douse Point Range Rear, PE|
Description: The Douse Point Range Lights were established on Douse Point in 1899 to lead vessels into Orwell Bay and up to the confluence of the Orwell and Vernon Rivers. The front range light, a square, pyramidal tower with a height of sixteen feet, was located at +46° 8 45, -62° 52 55. The rear range light stood twenty-two feet tall, was 436 yards along a bearing of 38° from the front range light, and was distinguished by a black band.
The Brush Wharf Range Lights commenced operation at the same time as the Douse Point Range Lights. A tower that had formerly served as the Brush Wharf Lighthouse was relocated to serve as the Douse Point Rear Range Lighthouse, and two new towers were built to serve as the Brush Wharf Range. John McDonald started serving as keeper of the Brush Wharf Light on June 25, 1879 and was reassigned to the Douse Point Range Lights when they were established. Keeper McDonald served for over three decades, earning $70 annually. H. A. McDonald was the next keeper of the lights and was received a salary of $120 in 1924.
David Hunter grew up spending his summers in Orwell Cove and remembers walking down to the towers to light the lamps with Kenny MacLeod, the last keeper of the lights before they were electrified. The previous keeper had been Walter MacLeod, who Hunter remembers came down to the range lights with a cart pulled by an old horse wearing a straw hat with two holes cut in the brim for its ears.
The Douse Point Range Lights were converted to battery power in May, 1962, and a few years later power lines were extended to the point. The lights were decommissioned on March 9, 1984. David Hunter's father attempted to purchase the lights and move them to his property, but regulations wouldn't allow it as the two towers would be too close to their original position and might confuse mariners.
The lights were eventually purchased by the Boul family in the 1980s and relocated to Murray River, where the have gradually fallen into a state of disrepair.
Keepers: John McDonald (1899 1913), H.A. McDonald (1913 ), Kenny MacLeod ( ), Walter MacLeod ( ).
Located in Murray River on the eastern side of Prince Edward Island. The lighthouse is privately owned. Grounds/tower closed.
The lighthouse is privately owned. Grounds/tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, used by permission.