|Douse Point Range Rear, PE|
Description: The Douse Point Range Lights were established on Douse Point in 1899 to lead vessels into Orwell Bay and up to the confluence of the Orwell and Vernon Rivers. The front range light, a square, pyramidal tower with a height of sixteen feet, was located at +46° 8 45, -62° 52 55. The rear range light stood twenty-two feet tall, was 436 yards along a bearing of 38° from the front range light, and was distinguished by a black band.
After Hector McDonald resigned in 1937, John McLeod was appointed keeper of the light. He served in this capacity until his death in 1947, whereupon Belle MacLeod, his wife, took became keeper of the lights. According to her service record, Belle MacLeod had three dependent children in 1947, even though she was fifty-six at the time, and she was listed as the keeper until 1962 when the lights were electrified.
David Hunter grew up spending his summers in Orwell Cove and remembers walking down to the towers to light the lamps with Kenny MacLeod, the last keeper of the lights before they were electrified. The previous keeper had been Walter MacLeod, who Hunter remembers came down to the range lights with a cart pulled by an old horse wearing a straw hat with two holes cut in the brim for its ears.
The Douse Point Range Lights were converted to battery power in May, 1962, and a few years later power lines were extended to the point. The lights were decommissioned on March 9, 1984. David Hunter's father attempted to purchase the lights and move them to his property, but regulations wouldn't allow it as the two towers would be too close to their original position and might confuse mariners.
The lights were eventually purchased by the Boul family in the 1980s and relocated to Murray River, where the have gradually fallen into a state of disrepair.
Keepers: John McDonald (1899 1913), Hector A. McDonald (1913 1924), John Hiram MacDonald (1924 1937), John A. MacLeod (1937 1947), Belle MacLeod (1947 1962).
Located in Murray River on the eastern side of Prince Edward Island. The lighthouse is privately owned. Grounds/tower closed.
The lighthouse is privately owned. Grounds/tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, used by permission.