The Port Borden Range Lights were established in 1918 to guide the ferry into the port at Borden. The present Port Borden Pier Lighthouse, a hexagonal tower with a height of 8.5 metres (28 feet), was placed at the outer end of the ferry pier in 1976.
The opening of the Confederation Bridge in 1997 ended eighty years of ferry service to Port Borden. Though the range lights were decommissioned, the Port Borden Pier Lighthouse remains active, exhibiting an isophase green light with a period of four seconds.
With the construction of the Confederation Bridge underway, the town of Borden merged with the farming community of Carleton on April 12, 1995 to form Borden-Carleton. To offset the impact of the loss of ferry jobs and the departure of workers employed in construction of the bridge, the federal government provided “Fixed Link Adjustment Funds” to the village that were used to develop “Gateway Village,” a tourist shopping complex situated near the foot of the bridge on the grounds of the former railway yard.
The Town of Borden-Carleton applied for ownership of the lighthouse under the Parks Canada Heritage Lighthouse Program.