|Warren Cove Range Rear, PE|
Description: The following entry for Warren Farm is found in the Annual Report of the Department of Marine and Fisheries for 1907:
Range lights have been established on Warren farm, on the western side of Charlottetown harbour. The lights are from inclosed wooden towers, square in plan, with sloping sides, surmounted by square wooden lanterns, the whole painted white. Each tower is 30 feet high from its base to the top of ventilator on the lantern, and the lights are fixed red seventh order dioptric lights, visible 2 miles in the line of range. The front light is elevated 39 feet above high water mark, and the back tower stands 1,1,43 feet from the front one, the light being elevated 57 feet above high water mark. The work was done by days’ labour under the agency at Charlottetown at a cost to date of $1,495.39.
Vessels wishing to enter Charlottetown Harbour would typically use three pairs of range lights. The Haszard Range Lights are followed through Hillsborough Bay until the Brighton Beach Range Lights are in range. This latter pair of lights then serves to guide vessels through the gap between Blockhouse Point and Sea Trout Points to enter Charlottetown Harbour. Ships wishing to call at the Charlottetown Wharves follow the Brighton Beach Range until they see the Warren Farm Range Lights come into alignment off their port side. The Warren Farm Range Lights are then kept in line astern (they are a back range) to reach the wharves. The lights are aligned when steering at 179°.
The first keeper of the Warren Farm Range Lights was Alexander S. McNeil, who added this responsibility to his job as keeper of the Blockhouse Lighthouse, which he had held since 1901.
Around the 1960s, the name of the range was changed from Warren Farm to Warren Cove. The lights are on the grounds of the Fort Amherst/Port La Joye National Historic Site.
The range lights received new siding in 2008.
Keepers: Alexander S. McNeil (1907 – 1912), C. E. H. Newson (1912 – 1921), J. L. Doiron (1921 – ).
Located on the west side of the entrance to Charlottetown Harbour. The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds open, tower closed.
The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds open, tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, used by permission.