|St. Peters Island, PE|
Description: The Journal of the House of Assembly of Prince Edward Island for 1866 notes that £32 was paid for erecting a light on St. Peterís Island, which is located on the western side of Hillsborough Bay near the entrance to Charlottetown Harbour. Money was also paid in 1866 for oil for the light, but it is not clear what type of light was established on the island.
Work on a new lighthouses on St. Peterís Island was commenced by Joseph Egan in 1880 under a contract for $500. This lighthouse was completed in time to be put in operation at the opening of navigation in 1881. The tower, a square wooden building with a height of 11.6 metres (38 feet), was placed on the most westerly point of the island from where it showed a fixed-white light at an elevation of 14.6 metres (48 feet) above high water. A total of $765.87 was expended on the lighthouse. In 1882, the light was changed from fixed-white to fixed-red to prevent confusion with Blockhouse Point Lighthouse and Point Prim Lighthouse.
During the winter of 1883-1884, the lighthouse was relocated from the western side of the lighthouse to the southern side of the island, about a mile southeast from its former site. In 1893, the tower was fitted with an 8-inch pressed glass lens and a Hincks duplex burner lamp. At the opening of navigation in 1898, the fixed-red light was replaced by an occulting white light that showed for six seconds out of every thirty seconds.
William Hewson kept the St. Peterís Island Lighthouse from the establishment of the current tower in 1881 until 1897, and he was followed by three keepers that shared the last name of Taylor. James W. Taylor was keeper from 1787 to 1912, and he was succeeded by James J. Taylor, who minded the light until his passing in 1947. William Taylor then looked after the light until it was made an unwatched electric light on October 3, 1947. James J. Taylor suffered a fall at the lighthouse on November 9, 1945, and a substitute was placed in charge of the station from November 13 to November so Keeper Taylor could get medical treatment for an infected ankle.
In 1964, St. Peterís Island Lighthouse was replaced by a light mounted atop a metal tube that resembled a steel culvert pipe. This light was discontinued at some point, but its remains seem to be visible near the lighthouse as shown in the aerial photographs to the left. The 1881 tower is once again active today showing a one-second flash every four seconds.
Keepers: William Hewson (1881 Ė 1897), James W. Taylor (1897 Ė 1912 ), James J. Taylor (1912 Ė 1947), William A. S. Taylor (1947).
Located on St. Peters Island, off Rice Point south of Charlottetown. The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds open, tower closed.
The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds open, tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, used by permission.