|Wood Islands Range Front, PE|
Description: On September 6, 1902, range lights were established and put in operation to guide mariners into Wood Islands Harbour. The front range tower was placed 15 metres (50 feet) from the outer end of the breakwater on the east side of the entrance, while the back range tower was placed on the gravel beach, 213 metres (700 feet) N. 85 degrees W. from the front tower.
The front tower was a square, wooden building, with sloping sides, surmounted by a square wooden lantern and had a height of 5.8 metres (19 feet) from its base to the top of the ventilator on its lantern. The back or rear tower was similar in design but had a height of 10 metres (33 feet). Both lights displayed a fixed-red light, and the buildings were constructed by day labour under the supervision of Milton Walsh for $204.92.
A substantial shed was attached to the front range tower at some point. The Wood Islands Range Lights are both now located on the breakwater on the eastern side of the entrance to Wood Islands Harbour. The range lights were decommissioned in 2007 and are scheduled to be moved to another location in 2010.
Keepers: James Young (1902 – ).
Located at the end of the east breakwater at the entrance to Wood Islands Harbour. The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds/tower closed.
The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds/tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, used by permission.