Lighthouse Friends Home Page
 Bush Point, WA    
Description: The passage between Bush Point on Whidbey Island and Marrowstone Island is the narrowest one in North Puget Sound and was first marked by a private light maintained by the Farmer family, early settlers of Bush Point. Each night, the Farmers would hang a kerosene lamp from a wooden gallows to aid mariners.

A post light, which employed a tubular-lantern light, was established at Bush Point by the Lighthouse Board on May 10, 1894.

In 1921, the Bureau of Lighthouses requested $46,000 for the establishment of a light and fog signal station at or near Bush Point on Puget Sound, noting the following:

This is a low point, and the currents in the vicinity are strong and irregular. Several serious collisions have occurred between Bush Point and Point No Point through inbound and outbound vessels following the shore of Marrowstone Island during foggy weather on account of the echo which can be obtained from it. This aid was petitioned for by the Shipmasters' Association of America during September, 1918, and was considered by that association as the second most important aid required for Puget Sound.

The Bureau repeated its request several times, until $10,000 was allotted in 1930 for an automatic acetylene light at Bush Point. The project was expected to be completed in 1931, but the twenty-foot, pyramidal tower, built of reinforced concrete, was not finished until 1933. Operated by commercial electric power, the semiautomatic light and fog signal were controlled from the residence of a caretaker. The total cost for the project was $6,197.


  1. Report of the Commissioner of Lighthouses various years.

Location: Located at Bush Point south of Admiralty Head on Whidbey Island.
Latitude: 48.03087
Longitude: -122.60697

For a larger map of Bush Point Lighthouse, click the lighthouse in the above map or get a map from: Mapquest.

Travel Instructions: From Highway 525 just west of Freeland on Whidbey Island, go west on Bush Point Road for 2.75 miles, where the road will split. Take Scurlock Road, the left fork, and then turn left on Sunset Avenue. Turn left again after one block onto 1st Avenue, and then right onto Lake Avenue, which leads to the light.

The lighthouse is owned by the Coast Guard. Grounds/tower closed.

Find the closest hotels to Bush Point Lighthouse

See our List of Lighthouses in Washington

The lighthouses The Maps Our friends Lighthouse Resources Lighthouse Events Lighthouse Store Lighthouse Posters
Copyright © 2001-
Send us an e-mail - please note that is not affiliated with any lighthouse

Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, used by permission.