|Round Island Passage, MI|
Description: Round Island Lighthouse commenced operation in 1896 to mark the southern side of North Channel, the narrow passage between Round Island and Mackinac Island that is the most direct route for ships sailing between Lake Michigan and Lake Superior. In 1936, the Coast Guard developed plans for a new lighthouse to stand 1,000 feet off Mackinac Island and mark the opposite side of North Channel, but the erection of the structure was delayed until after the end of World War II. As an interim solution, a marker radiobeacon bell buoy was established 630 feet off Mackinac Island West Breakwater.
The following description of Round Island Passage Lighthouse was carried in the Coast Guard Bulletin:
The substructure of the new lighthouse, 56 feet square up to the 1 foot line below mean low water, is a timber crib with cells at the perimeter filled with concrete and internal cells filled with 5-inch to 14-inch rock. The superstructure is concrete with a reinforced concrete deck. It has four vertical and four sloping sides, giving the lighthouse a new and unusually trim appearance. The tower is appropriately ornamented on each side with a 4- or 5-foot Indian Head plaque, symbolic of the area.
Atop the tower’s forty-one-foot-square concrete deck stands a twenty-foot-square, steel-plate enclosure that has a height of eleven feet, three inches and is surmounted by the octagonal steel tower. A skeletal, steel, antenna, forty-seven feet, six inches high, originally stood atop the tower, giving the lighthouse and overall height of 120 feet, three inches. The bronze Indian Heads in relief commemorate the fact that the area was Native American country long before the white man came, and that Mackinac Island was a sacred spot and central meeting place for the tribes of the Great Lakes region.
The lighthouse received a needed paint job by A.C.E. Coatings Unlimited of Oregon over a three-week period during the summer of 2009.
On May 1, 2013, the General Services Administration announced that Round Island Passage Lighthouse was excess to the needs of the Coast Guard and was “being made available at no cost to eligible entities defined as federal agencies, state and local agencies, non-profit corporations, educational agencies, or community development organizations, for education, park, recreation, cultural, or historic preservation purposes.” Interested entities were given sixty days to submit a letter of interest. If the lighthouse is not transferred, it will be sold at auction.
Round Island Passage Lighthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on August 7, 2013.
Located just off the southern tip of Mackinac Island. The lighthouse is owned by the Coast Guard. Tower closed.
The lighthouse is owned by the Coast Guard. Tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, used by permission.