|Two Bush, ME|
Description: Named for its two bushes that served as a natural landmark for mariners, Two Bush Island has long been an important spot along the Maine coast. [The 1806 edition of the American Coast Pilot noted that the round barren island had by that time lost one of its two bushes.] Numerous shipmasters, ship owners, and residents of nearby Vinalhaven Island petitioned Congress in 1872 for a light on Two Bush Island, declaring that they “would be very much benefited” by such an aid.
The keepers at Whitehead Island noted that during the spring of 1892, 6,853 vessels had passed through Muscle Ridge, marked by lights and fog signals, versus 3,931 for Two Bush Channel, which lacked any navigational aids. As numerous vessels were using the wider Two Bush Channel, which required two changes of course, the Lighthouse Board recommended that Congress provide $19,000 for a light and fog signal on Two Bush Island to mark one of the turning points.
The requested amount was appropriated on August 18, 1894, but as it proved impracticable to purchase the island, measures were taken to obtain title through condemnation proceedings. Under a $12,250 contract awarded to W. H. Glover Co. of Rockport, a square, brick tower was constructed atop a stone foundation near the southwest end of the island, while a double frame dwelling was built forty feet northeast of the tower, and a boathouse was placed on the northwest end of the island. The revolving fifth-order Fresnel lens installed in the tower’s lantern room first sent out its signature of a white flash every five seconds on November 10, 1897. Attached to the base of the tower was a brick fog signal building, which housed a clockwork mechanism and 1,400-pound weights that once wound up, could toll a fog bell for three-and-a-half hours. The station’s 4,188-pound fog bell was mounted on one face of the fog signal building and was struck two blows every twenty seconds when needed.
A winter gale in 1902 drove the fishing schooner Clara Bella onto the rocks near Two Bush Lighthouse. Captain Pulk and his crewman George Samuels cried for help, but the pounding surf made it impossible for Keeper Alleverd A. Norton, the first keeper of Two Bush, to hear them. Keeper Norton’s dog Smut, however, picked something up with his sensitive ears. After discovering the source of the sounds, Smut raced back to the lighthouse and, with his barking, alerted his master that something was amiss outside. The two sailors had climbed into the ship’s dory and were trying to make their way to the lee side of Two Bush Island when Norton spotted them. Keeper Norton waded out into the frigid water, threw a coil of rope to the men, and, after the sailors had securely tied the rope about themselves, pulled the men to shore with the help of his assistant. When the two sailors learned that they owed their lives to Smut, they fell to the ground and hugged the dog. Later, they offered to buy their rescuer, but Keeper Norton wouldn’t sell his beloved companion and bird dog at any price.
Keeper Leland Mann, who came to the island as an assistant in 1919, always kept an eye on the vessels passing the station, and in 1922, he rescued a man in a stalled motor boat that was drifting out to sea before a strong wind. The following year, the Lighthouse Service Bulletin noted five acts of assistance rendered by Keeper Mann, each being just a little bit different. One involved a sick captain, another an exhausted man in a rowboat, the third, a rowboat that had gone adrift, the fourth, a yacht short of fuel, and the final one a disabled launch.
Keeper Mann’s wife died in 1926, and the same year he fell on the boat slip, breaking his hip. Leland was made head keeper in 1927 and held this title until his retirement from the island in 1933.
Two Bush Lighthouse was automated in 1964, and its keepers removed - no longer could mariners rely on a keeper or his dog to come to their rescue. The Coast Guard allowed the U. S. Army’s Green Berets to blow up the keepers’ duplex as a demolition exercise in 1970, after bids for removing the structure exceeded the budgeted amount. The force of the explosion not only brought the dwelling down but also broke panes of glass in the lighthouse’s lantern room and cracked its brick walls. Once piece of Two Bush Lighthouse survives on the mainland - its fog bell hangs in the belfry of the Spruce Head Community Church in Spruce Head, Maine.
Ownership of the lighthouse was transferred to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in 1998, and Two Bush Island is now part of the Maine Coastal Islands National Wildlife Refuge. As such, the island is closed to the public during the seabird-nesting season, which runs from April through August. The light was converted to solar power in 2000.
Located on Two Bush Island, 5.7 miles east of Tenants Harbor. The lighthouse and island are owned by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and are part of the Maine Coastal Islands National Wildlife Refuge. Grounds closed during seabird nesting season, tower closed.
The lighthouse and island are owned by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and are part of the Maine Coastal Islands National Wildlife Refuge. Grounds closed during seabird nesting season, tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, used by permission.