|Stepping Stones, NY|
Description: An old Native American legend tells of how the Siwanoy Indians struggled with Habboamoko, the devil, for possession of Connecticut. While Habboamoko had many tricks, the Siwanoy, through their own potions and wizardry, were able to back the old devil up against Long Island Sound. Things were looking rather bleak for Habboamoko, until he glanced over his shoulder at low tide toward Long Island and noticed a trail of stepping stones. Wasting no time, he spritely danced across the rocks and fled to Long Island. So angry at the Siwanoy was Habboamoko that he flung every boulder he could find back across the sound. His aim was not true, but his power was strong, and the boulders were flung as far as Maine, littering New England with rock formations.
Perhaps due to the legend, Colonial maps of the area named Long Island Sound, “Devil’s Belt,” and the collection of rocky reefs at its west end, “Devil’s Stepping Stones.”
Congress provided the extra $50,000 on June 10, 1872, but when the State of New York could not cede the end of the reef, the most westerly of the group of rocks known as the Stepping Stones was selected instead, there being no question of its riparian ownership. Construction of a Second Empire style lighthouse, a sister to Hudson-Athens Lighthouse on the Hudson River, began in 1875 with the laying of riprap on the rock, which lies just below the water’s surface. Under the direction of A. D. Cook, Stepping Stones Lighthouse was constructed by Irish bargemen and stonemasons from Throggs Neck. The concrete and riprap foundation, encased in rough-hewn granite blocks, has a base diameter of forty-eight feet, and the lighthouse rises to a height of forty-nine feet above the sound. The redbrick keeper’s dwelling is topped by a mansard roof and attached to a square tower. Every outside corner of the structure is decorated with quoins, giving the lighthouse a more imposing presence.
Findlay Fraser lit the tower’s fifth-order Fresnel lens for the first time on March 1, 1877, and when necessary, would start the machinery that tolled the station’s fog bell a double-blow every twenty seconds. The original characteristic of the light was fixed red, an appropriate choice for the Devil's Stepping Stones, but in 1932, the light was changed to a fourth order-Fresnel lens with a fixed green light. A modern optic, which produces a flashing green light, was placed in the lantern room when the lighthouse was automated in 1964.
A ship approaching New York City’s East River can take a clear channel by keeping south of the lighthouses on Great Captain Island and Execution Rocks and then staying north of Stepping Stones Lighthouse.
In December 1888, Keeper Cornelius Douglass was returning to the lighthouse one evening after purchasing supplies on City Island. The weather was intensely cold and blustery, and a nasty cross-sea was running in the sound. Keeper Douglass neglected to reef the sail of his small craft, and when about a quarter-mile from the lighthouse, the sailboat capsized. The moon was nearly full, allowing Mrs. Douglass and her children a full view of the accident, and their screams for help caught the attention of the marine reporters aboard the Herald, which was returning from up the sound with the shipping news of the day. Battered by wave after wave, Keeper Douglas was struggling to keep a hold of the bottom of his overturned craft, which was starting to develop a thin coating of ice, when he was rescued by the Herald and delivered to the lighthouse. The keeper andhis family were profuse in their thanks to the rescuers, who almost certainly saved a life that evening.
Devil’s Belt has a tricky way of stirring up unexpected storms. On the morning of February 9, 1934, the mercury at Stepping Stones Lighthouse hit fourteen degrees below zero. With the sound clogged with ice floes, Keeper Charles A. Rogers could not row ashore for supplies, and the weather only got worse. On February 20, the wind blew in a blizzard, which dumped seventeen inches of snow overnight, the worst storm since 1888. Trapped and with only two days of food for his small family, Rogers hung the flag upside down on March 1 hoping someone would notice the distress signal. Captain Wilson Rex of the tug Muxpet spotted the signal and gradually worked his vessel through the ice until he was close enough to carry on a signal conversation with the keeper. The captain offered Rogers food, but Rogers refused stating that it was the Lighthouse Service’s responsibility, and asked that the depot at St. George, Staten Island be notified of the situation. Shortly after being apprised of the keeper’s predicament, the depot dispatched the lighthouse tender Hickory to Stepping Stones Lighthouse with supplies.
In 2006, the lighthouse, deemed excess by the Coast Guard, was offered at no cost to eligible entities, including federal, state, and local agencies, non-profit corporations, and educational organizations. The Town of North Hempstead submitted a letter of interest along with five non-profit organizations: Asian Americans for Equality in Manhattan, Beacon Preservation Inc. of Ansonia, Conn., Crabber Cup of Greenwich, Conn., Historic Preservation Society of America of Washington, D.C., and Korstad Marine Preservation Society of Brooking, Conn. Eventually all suitors save North Hempstead withdrew their applications, deciding it was too big an undertaking.
The lighthouse was awarded to North Hempstead in 2008, but three years later the National Park Service chided the town for not making progress on the preservation of the lighthouse. In October 2012, the General Services Administration requested the keys to the lighthouse so the structure could be inspected before being turned over to a new steward. Pam Setchell, president of the Northeast Lighthouse Preservation Group Ltd. and the Huntington Lighthouse Preservation Society, was seemingly going to be given the chance to do for the lighthouse what North Hempstead could not.
In 2013, Setchell and North Hempstead decided to work together to try to save the lighthouse, which is in need of about $4 million in repairs. The Town of North Hempstead, the Great Neck Park District and the Great Neck Historical Society forged a public/private partnership in 2014 that has invigorated the effort to save the light and has clearly defined appropriate tasks for the entities. Since the formation of the partnership, the society’s fundraising committee reached out to the City Island Maritime Museum, whose leadership has also committed to the preservation project. Essential repairs to the roof have already been completed and public awareness and fundraising efforts are underway. You can learn more about the restoration effort and make a donation to the project by visiting the Great Neck Historical Society website.
Today, wicked storms still race across the sound and mariners continue to be safely guided through a clear channel, past the hidden reef, by the faithful beam of the lighthouse.
Head Keepers: Finlay Fraser (1877 – 1879), James G. Scott (1879 – 1880), William McGloin (1880 – 1886), Cornelius Douglass (1886 – 1895), Elmer E. Gildersleeve (1895 – 1903), Charles Redfern (1903 – 1910), Ernest Bloom (1910 – at least 1915), Edward M. Grant (at least 1916 – at least 1917), John E. Bergen (at least 1919), Stephen Holm (1921 – 1923), Charles A. Rogers (at least 1930 – at least 1934), Arthur M. Bettencourt (at least 1940).
Located in the water near the confluence of the East River and Long Island
Sound, off Long Island's north shore. The lighthouse is owned by the Coast Guard. Dwelling/tower closed.
The lighthouse is owned by the Coast Guard. Dwelling/tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, used by permission.