Shortly after the accident, Theresa C. Watson, keeper of Mare Island Lighthouse, resigned, and the position was offered to Kate. For Kate’s first Christmas at the station, Naval officers from Mare Island strung a telephone line from the Navy Yard out to the lighthouse. This helped ease some of the loneliness Kate initially experienced at the station. She certainly must have learned to enjoy her life at the lighthouse, for she would remain its keeper until it was discontinued in 1917.
Not long after constructing Mare Island Lighthouse, the Lighthouse Board realized that a beacon positioned offshore near the junction of Carquinez Strait and the Napa River would better serve navigation in the area. On March 4, 1907, after repeated requests from the Lighthouse Board, Congress appropriated $50,000 for a light and fog signal at Carquinez Strait. Starting in August 1908, hundreds of wooden piles were driven into the strait’s muddy bottom using a steam pile driver to create a long pier extending out into the water over roughly 1,500 feet from Carquinez Heights. At the very end of the pier, a dock was built to which the lighthouse tenders could tie up. Just short of the end, a causeway led off a short distance to the east to a large, rectangular platform built to support the lighthouse.
Just before the lighthouse commenced operation, the Lighthouse Board published the following Notice to Mariners:
Notice is hereby given that Carquinez strait light station was established January 15, 1910, in the structure recently erected on the northerly side of the entrance to Carquinez strait and the easterly side of the entrance to Napa creek, just inside of the long wooden dike and about 9-16 mile 106 deg 30 min true from Mare Island lighthouse.
The light is fixed red, of the fourth order, 56 feet above the water, and should be visible 13 miles in clear weather, the observer’s eye 15 feet above the water. The tower is a cream colored square frame structure with white trimmings, surmounted by a black cylindrical lantern, and rises from a 2-story dwelling and fog signal building with white trimmings and red roofs. The tower, dwelling and fog signal building are on a pile foundation in 8 feet of water.
Andrew Czarnecke, who had been serving as assistant keeper at East Brother Lighthouse, was appointed the first head keeper of Carquinez Strait Lighthouse with Arthur Berry as his assistant. In 1911, Czarnecke swapped places with Charles Kaneen, head keeper of Piedras Blancas Lighthouse. Keeper Kaneen spent over twenty-five years at Carquinez Strait, making him the station’s longest serving keeper. To provide water for the keepers at the offshore lighthouse, a 4,600-foot-long, two-inch pipe was run between the Vallejo City water system and a 5,840-gallon water tank, which stood atop wooden trestles near the lighthouse.
Nearby Mare Island Lighthouse was discontinued in 1917, seven years after Carquinez Strait Lighthouse commenced operation, and it stood vacant until it was razed in the 1930s. Carquinez Strait Lighthouse served until 1951 when it was replaced by a smaller beacon and fog signal at the end of the now extended pier. Four years later, the twenty-eight-room residence was offered for sale, as the Coast Guard had built a new flat-roofed structure with four apartments atop the bluff overlooking the pier.
The future seemed uncertain for the neglected lighthouse until three Asian-American businessmen teamed with Hubert to finish the task of moving the dwelling to the nearby marina. Ittsei Nakagawa, one of the businessmen, served as the designer for the project, which they named Lighthouse Harbor. After much delay, the lighthouse eventually made the short trip to the nearby cove that is now known as Glenn Cove Marina. The historic lighthouse, minus its light tower and fog signal building, is home to the marina’s office.
In 2014, a large portion of the former lighthouse’s lower floor was opened as an event space, and the upper two stories were made available as a three-bedroom rental unit known as the Lighthouse Inn.