|Titanic Memorial, NY|
Description: On April 15, 1913, one year after the sinking of the Titanic, the Titanic Memorial Lighthouse and Time Ball, mounted atop the Seamen’s Church Institute, were dedicated to honor the passengers, officers, and crew who perished in the tragedy. The dedicatory service opened with a hymn and prayer, and then Rt. Rev. David H. Greer, Bishop of New York, read the following lines of dedication:
To the glory of Almighty God, and in loving memory of those passengers, officers, and crew who lost their lives in the foundering of the steamship Titanic, on April 15, 1912, I, David Hummell Greer, Bishop of New York, and President of the Seamen’s Church Institute of New York, do solemnly dedicate the Titanic Memorial Lighthouse Tower. As its light by night shall guide pilgrims and seafaring men from every clime into this port, so may they follow Him who is the Light of Life across the waves of this troublesome world to everlasting life; and, looking at noon toward this place to note the time of day, may they remember that our days pass as the swift ships, and in view of the shortness and uncertainty of human life, strive to fulfill their duty well, as the beat preparation for Eternity. Amen.
The Seamen’s Church Institute was established in 1834 and had announced plans for its new twelve-story headquarters at South Street and Coenties Slip in Lower Manhattan several years before the loss of the Titanic. The Flemish-style building was meant to reflect New York’s Dutch origins and was to be crowned by a tower whose beacon would welcome incoming seaman. The cornerstone for the building was laid one day after the sinking of the Titanic, and a week later the institute announced the lighthouse atop their building would be a memorial to the victims of the tragedy.
In 1965, the institute put their building, which contained several transient rooms for mariners, up for sale and moved to a smaller edifice. The company contracted to demolish the old building donated the Titanic Memorial Lighthouse to the South Street Seaport Museum, and the tower was placed in its current location in 1976.
The plaque on the Titanic Memorial Lighthouse reads:
Located at the intersection of Pearl and Fulton Streets in Lower Manhattan. The lighthouse is owned by South Street Seaport Museum. Grounds open, tower closed.
The lighthouse is owned by South Street Seaport Museum. Grounds open, tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, used by permission.