|Boca Grande Entrance Rear Range, FL|
Description: Pyramidal skeletal towers became popular in the late 1800s as they could be built at roughly half the cost of a stone or brick tower of the same height. Another advantage they had was that since they were constructed of prefabricated sections, it was possible to disassemble and move them. Such was the case for Boca Grande Entrance Rear Range Lighthouse. This hexagonal tower was built in 1881 by the Phoenix Iron Company of Trenton, New Jersey, and put into service at a station just north of Lewes, Delaware, where it served as the Delaware Breakwater Rear Range Light. The companion front range light was the Delaware Breakwater West End Lighthouse from November 1, 1881, when the rear range light was activated, until the end of 1902. Starting in 1903, the rear range light was paired with the Delaware Breakwater East End Lighthouse.
Boca Grande Entrance Rear Range Light worked in conjunction with a flashing light atop a twenty-foot-tall steel structure located offshore. When a captain positioned his vessel so that the light from the rear range was positioned directly above the flashing light of the front range, he knew he was in the middle of the shipping channel. The captain would continue north in the channel, until he reached a series of towers that marked the channel leading east to the safe anchorage at Port Boca Grande.
The Boca Grande tower isn’t the only example of a tower being relocated to a different section of the country to continue its service. Just a few years after the tower was moved to Florida, a skeletal tower was transferred from the Delaware River in Pennsylvania to Michigan Island, one of the Apostle Islands in Lake Superior. Likewise, a tower used on Sapelo Island in Georgia until 1933 was dismantled and shipped to Fox Island in Lake Michigan.
The front range light of the Boca Grande Entrance Range was discontinued in 2003, and the rear light was renamed Gasparilla Island Light, the name the Port Boca Grande Lighthouse had before being deactivated in 1966. Plans to discontinue the light in 2004 were scrapped following public appeals, and the lighthouse remains in operation to this day, guiding vessels safely through Boca Grande Channel into the safe confines of Charlotte Harbor. The tower’s white light, which is alternately on for three seconds and off for three seconds, is displayed at a focal plane of 105 feet, with a red sector marking a dangerous approach.
Located near the southern end of Gasparilla Island, which is near the entrance
to Charlotte Harbor. The lighthouse is owned by the State of Florida. Tower closed.
The lighthouse is owned by the State of Florida. Tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, used by permission.