|Cape Vincent Breakwater, NY|
Description: Billed as the only town in the United States where you can enjoy the beauty of the St. Lawrence River and Lake Ontario, Cape Vincent is home to two lighthouses that helped mark the important transition from lake to river: Tibbetts Point Lighthouse and Cape Vincent Breakwater Lighthouse.
On August 31, 1901, two temporary fixed red lights, exhibited from lens lanterns atop masts with small houses at their base, were established on the completed portion of the breakwater. One of the lights was located about twenty feet from the western end of the breakwater, and its companion stood the same distance from the eastern end of the structure.
John Larock transferred from Crossover Island to become the first keeper of the breakwater lights. While he had to find his own accommodations in town, a rented boathouse was provided for storing the small boat he used to row to and from the breakwater. The Lighthouse Board deemed it essential for the “efficient and proper care of the station” that a dwelling and boathouse be built on conveniently located land and requested $5,000 in 1902 to procure a proper site and construct the buildings.
In 1904, the temporary breakwater lights were replaced with twin, eleven-foot-square, wooden towers that stood twenty-five feet high. The towers were capped by octagonal wooden lantern rooms with copper roofs and displayed fixed red lights from five-day lens lanterns.
Late in 1904, James Stratford, a blacksmith in Cape Vincent, brought a case against Keeper Larock “to recover damages for the alleged alienation of the affections of the plaintiff’s wife,” who at the time of the complaint was living out of town with her mother. Keeper Larock was single at the time of the “alleged alienation,” but was married the day before the action was brought against him. No outcome of the case was found in subsequent editions of the newspaper announcing the claim.
Halsey W. Crapo was appointed keeper of the Cape Vincent Breakwater Lights in 1912, after entering the Lighthouse Service in 1909 and serving at Cleveland and Lorain, Ohio. Keeper Crapo was known as a dedicated keeper, having received the efficiency flag for maintaining the model station in the district in both 1917 and 1927.
On June 5, 1929, Keeper Crapo, who was also serving as harbor master at the time, performed his normal morning duties at the lights and then, shortly after having lunch at home, complained of chest pain. A doctor was promptly summoned, but efforts to help Crapo failed, and the forty-one-year-old keeper passed away less than an hour after being stricken. Frank L. Sellman, who had previously served as head keeper of Ashtabula Lighthouse, succeeded Crapo as keeper at Cape Vincent.
On June 28, 1939, the intensity of the breakwater lights was increased by changing the illuminant from oil vapor mantle to electricity. In 1951, the old wooden towers were removed from the pier and replaced by white skeletal steel structures with tankhouses. Fifth-order Fresnel lenses were being used in the wooden towers at the time they were removed. The one surviving wooden tower stands beside Route 12E on the southern outskirts of Cape Vincent, now welcoming travelers arriving by land rather than by sea.
Head Keepers: John Larock (1901 – 1910), Ralph H.B. Scobie (1910), William Wybrant (1910 – 1912), Halsey W. Crapo (1912 – 1929), Frank L. Sellman (1929 – at least 1941).
Located on the west side of Market Street (Route 12E) in Cape Vincent. The lighthouse is owned by the Village of Cape Vincent. Grounds open, tower closed.
The lighthouse is owned by the Village of Cape Vincent. Grounds open, tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, used by permission.