|Manhattan Range, OH|
Description: Looking at the truncated towers that now rest somewhat ignominiously next to an industrial equipment repair company and a café, one would hardly guess that these lights came into existence on a stretch of water embroiled in early American history.
After a beacon light had been authorized for the Town of Manhattan, situated at the mouth of the Maumee River, Lieutenant G.J. Pendergrast visited the site in 1837 and recommended that the light not be built as the channel leading from Turtle Island across Maumee Bay to the mouth of the river required multiple course changes. Instead, Pendergrast suggested that a lightship in use at the Straits of Mackinac be transferred to Maumee Bay. This suggestion was not carried out, but rather in 1855 Maumee Bay Lighthouse was built atop iron piles at a bend in the channel leading through Maumee Bay. This lighthouse had a rather short life as ice floes swept it away during the winter of 1857.
In 1890, work was underway on a new, eight-mile-long, straight channel through Maumee Bay. Congress appropriated $8,000 in 1893 and another $2,000 in 1894 to construct a new range, known as Manhattan Range, to mark the inner end of the channel. A site for the rear light of this range was purchased on Manhattan Point in North Toledo (the Town of Manhattan had ceased to exist by this time), while land on the bottom of Maumee Bay was ceded to the federal government by the State of Ohio for the front light.
Two wooden towers were built for Manhattan Range, and the lenses from Maumee Inner Range were transferred to the new lights. The Inner, Middle, and Outer range lights were all discontinued when Manhattan Range was established on April 1, 1895, though they remained standing as daymarks to mark the old channel. A dwelling, boathouse, and woodshed were built near the Manhattan Range Rear Light for its keeper.
The Manhattan Range Lights followed the pattern of all range lights: they were built as a pair and spaced a significant distant apart, with the front light shorter and the rear light taller. Captains would align their vessels so that the rear light was positioned directly above the front light, and, keeping this alignment, they could proceed safely through the channel.
The South Beacon of the Maumee Range was discontinued in 1897, and two new iron towers were built to replace the other two beacons of the range. This new range, known as the Straight Channel Range, went into service on October 12, 1898. The easterly tower had one light with a focal plane of forty-two feet that served as the front range light for vessels bound to the river and the rear light for vessels leaving the river, while the westerly tower had two lights: one in a lantern room atop the tower with a focal plane of sixty-four feet that served as the rear range light for vessels bound to the river and another in a lower lantern room with a focal plane of twenty-four feet that served as the front range light for vessels leaving the river.
In 1913, $15,000 was requested for the following improvement to the Manhattan Range Lights.
These range lights, marking the axis of the Maumee Bay straight channel leading to Toledo, should be clearly visible after passing the Maumee Bay Range Lights for a distance of about 5 miles. The present lights are too low and are frequently obscured by smoke. They are also sometimes blanketed by vessels mooring in the lagoon. These lights should therefore be raised in order to give greater efficiency. The present wooden towers are not structurally adapted for raising, and it is proposed to replace them with steel towers.
As described in the following paragraph, batteries were provided as a backup energy source in case commercial power failed:
The lights are operated on 32-volt current, and the installation is so arranged that in the event of any interruption in the city current the light will operated from a set of storage batteries. The batteries have sufficient capacity to run the lights for two or three nights without recharging. The city current is taken through tungsten rectifiers, reducing the voltage from 112 volts alternating current to 32 volts direct current and connected with the lights and batteries in such a way that under normal conditions the batteries are automatically kept fully charged.
After nearly forty-two years of lightkeeping on the Great Lakes, Keeper William H. Jennings retired from the Manhattan Range Lights on March 26, 1926. At that time, no other active keeper in the tenth district had more years of service than Keeper Jennings. The Lighthouse Service noted that his long record of service had been marked with faithfulness and willingness.
In the late 1980s, the Coast Guard offered to sell the Manhattan Range Lights to Hansen Industries, but a deal was instead agreed upon whereby Hansen Industries would be given the lights if they would simply remove them. Late one summer afternoon, a few employees of Hansen Industries departed their workplace aboard a boat with a barge and crane in tow. Cutting down the towers proved more difficult than expected, but after trimming the taller rear tower to match the twenty-foot height of its mate, the pair were transported back to Hansen Industries where they were placed in the parking lot. The owner of the Lighthouse Cafe later purchased the front tower and relocated it to his business at 2605 Broadway. (The restaurant has since been converted to the Six Pack Bar & Grill, and then Lighthouse Banquet Hall.) The Front Range is now painted red after having been white, while the Rear Range is pale yellow with a blue roof and ventilator ball.
The Manhattan Range Lights were still active in 2013, with the rear light being exhibited from atop a building and the front light from a post.
Head Keepers: Harvey H. Dayan (1895 – 1905), Edward Ahart (1905 – at least 1912), William H. Jennings (at least 1920 – 1926), David C. Sutherland (1926 – at least 1933).
The Rear Range Light is located on the grounds
of H. Hansen Industries at 2824 North Summit Street, while the Front Range Light is located
at 2605 Broadway Street, next to the
Six Pack Bar & Grill. The lighthouses are privately owned. Towers closed.
The lighthouses are privately owned. Towers closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, used by permission.