|Racine Breakwater, WI|
Description: The first lighthouse built at Racine was on the bluff top south of the river in 1838, but as piers and later breakwaters were put in place to protect the harbor, various lights were constructed on these works to help mariners find safe shelter.
In 1845-46, a pier, roughly 600 feet long, was extended seaward from each side of the Racine Rivers mouth, and in 1856-57 another 220 feet was added to the north pier. Racine Harbor Lighthouse was built atop cribwork adjacent to the north pier in 1866. This pier was extended 340 feet in 1869-70, prompting the Lighthouse Board to begin work on a pierhead beacon in July of 1872. This wooden, framework tower was painted white and first exhibited its fixed red light on September 5, 1872. An elevated walkway linked the pierhead beacon to Racine Harbor Lighthouse, and the lights from these two structures formed a range for entering the harbor.
In 1896, the wooden tower was relocated to the outer end of the pier, its sixth-order red light was reestablished on June 18th, and the conduit light was discontinued. The conduit was removed from the pier, and some 438 feet of elevated walkway were built in its stead.
Captain J. G. Warren of the Corps of Engineers reported in 1899 that heavy, wind-driven seas often entered Racine Harbor and tore vessels from their moorings at the city docks. Warren proposed the construction of a 600-foot-long, detached breakwater off the harbors north pier to break the force of seas from the northeast. This breakwater was completed in November of 1900, just a few weeks after a fixed red post-lantern light, protected on the lake side by a v-shaped timberwork, had been established on its southern end.
In 1901, the Lighthouse Board decided Racine Harbor Lighthouse should be discontinued, and its fourth-order Fresnel lens placed in a new metal tower to be erected at the end of the north pier. After a concrete foundation was created on the pierhead, a skeletal steel tower was put in place and first lighted on November 23, 1901. The twelve-foot-square, enclosed portion of the tower was lined with wood and stood seventeen-and-a-half feet above the pier, while the entire structure measured forty-five feet nine inches from base to ventilator ball. A 960-foot-long elevated walkway provided access to the tower, which was initially painted white, save its black lantern room. This new light and the breakwater light could be aligned for entering the harbor.
A 1,500-pound fog bell was mounted on brackets attached to the eastern face of the metal tower. The machinery for striking the bell was housed in the lower floor of the tower, from where a fourteen-inch galvanized iron weight drop tube extended down to the pier.
In 1904, the post light on the breakwater was covered in metalwork to create a hexagonal, pyramidal tower that resembled an inverted funnel. The light from this structure commenced operation on December 23, 1904.
Extension of the northern breakwater began in 1907, but the southern breakwater was deferred until it was determined if it would still be needed after the northern breakwater was completed. In 1912, the northern breakwater finally reached the shore, and the north pier was removed from its outer end to the old Racine Harbor Lighthouse, which was still serving as living quarters for a keeper and an assistant. The square, metal tower was removed from the north pier and installed near the outer end of the south pier, where it started showing a white flashing light on May 29, 1912.
In the first part of November 1913, the steamer Nyanza arrived at Racine loaded with 2,826 tons of coal. While offloading at the dock, a storm arose, and all hands had to be called on deck at 4 a.m. one morning to secure the vessel. Captain George A. Montgomery described the battle to keep the steamer under control.
We parted every working line we had several times, then we got put our 9 ½-inch brand new hawser. We got two parts out of each end of the boat, in which she snapped like shoestrings. After using up 1,000 feet of our hawser, or, in fact, the whole line, we could do nothing but start working our engine. We had made junk of $650 worth of lines and we had no more, so we started working our engine ahead and astern About every five minutes, as our steamer would rush ahead, we would back the engine, and when she would rush astern would work ahead.Obviously, the north breakwater alone had failed to provide the needed protection for the harbor.
In 1916, bids were invited for constructing the southern breakwater and removing the south pier. 1,515 feet of the breakwater were completed by 1919, but due to the effects of war, the removal of the south pier and the construction of the pile pier to connect the south breakwater to shore were temporarily deferred. An acetylene light was established atop a thirty-one-a-half-foot standard steel tower on the outer end of the southern breakwater in 1918. Bids for completing the southern breakwater were received in 1922, and the work began early in 1923. The square metal tower was transferred from the south pier to the breakwater in 1924 and an air diaphone fog signal was installed.
In 1933, 18,000 feet of telephone and control cable was laid by the tender Hyacinth between Racine Reef and the Racine Breakwater, allowing the breakwater light to be controlled remotely.
When the square, metal breakwater light was discontinued in 1987, the citizens of Racine fought to keep the structure from being razed. This tower has been floodlit at night, but a metal pole now serves as the official light for the north breakwater.
Head Keepers: Amaziah Stebbins (1839 1846), John F. Towbridge (1846 1849), Abner Rouse (1849 1853), Isaac B. Gates (1853 1855), Gideon L. Kelsey (1855 1857), John Fancher (1857 1861), Milton N. Moore (1861 1865), James Ginty (1865 1883), Lawrence A. Easson (1883 1888), George Larson (1888 1899), Martin N. Knudsen (1899 1917), Edward W. Knudsen (1917 1932).
Located at the entrance to the harbor in Racine. The lighthouse is owned by the City of Racine. Grounds/tower closed.
The lighthouse is owned by the City of Racine. Grounds/tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, used by permission.